Notices

winterize 496mag

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterize 496mag

Does anyone know were I can find a book that will show me how to winterize a 2002 25 OL 496mag. I have never winterized a boat before but would like to instead of paying someone. Dont think it would be that hard, just not sure were to start. Thanks, anything would help.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

The Merc manual will tell you. I think you need #23 (but don't quote me on that), there is a guy selling some on ebay cheap.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Speaking as somebody who has worked on boats for over 20 years, I always recommend against "home winterization" for those that are not really used to it. Yes, the manual will show you how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't always work the way Mother Mercury (or Volvo or OMC) wanted it to. Every spring, we get 3 or 4 people with sheepish looks on their faces wondering why they have a chocolate milkshake for oil. Every one of them saved a few bucks by winterizing themselves. If you still want to do it yourself, get somebody experienced to walk you through it.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Every spring, we get 3 or 4 people with sheepish looks on their faces wondering why they have a chocolate milkshake for oil. Every one of them saved a few bucks by winterizing themselves. If you still want to do it yourself, get somebody experienced to walk you through it.
Thats what Im always afraid of...Saving $500 now and then spending $8000 in the spring. PEACE OF MIND--PRICELESS!!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I completely agree, I winterize my seadoo and jet ski, but I send the boat out to be winterized, I have seen it done dozens of times, and I have done it, but for the peace of mind, it is worth the money. and god forbid anything go wrong, at least the marina who winterized it has cause the problem. Then you get them to pay for the heads or manifolds, or even worse the block.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck if you think a marina will stand by anything other than repairs. Im almost positive a marina will not cover anything if there winterization went wrong. It shouldnt happen and doesnt but if it did it would be your resposibility. If they did cover it i would think it would be a long down time.

I think.
Just my opinion
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered

It is very easy,use the pump to pressurize the dump valves.Watch for the two green dots to pop up and you will hear the water run out.You are done!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

I have a pair of 496 Mercs in my own boat and you CANNOT use Merc's water purge system to winterize--its only meant to extend the boating season in colder climates. The 496 is somewhat complicated to winterize and should be professionally done unless your an experienced owner. In my opinion money well spent.....
Old 10-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

After you pump it out the first time, run about 4 or 5 gallons of AF through the system. Now pump the AF out. Now your done. The AF will dillute any water that was left in the system from the first pumping.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
After you pump it out the first time, run about 4 or 5 gallons of AF through the system. Now pump the AF out. Now your done. The AF will dillute any water that was left in the system from the first pumping.
That's what I do. Also, I unscrew the 4 blue plugs. 2 on the sea pump and 2 on the cool fuel system and leave them out until spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.