Notices

help SEAWATER PUMP??

Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i done the same thing a year ago and the engine still has sand in it almost like concrete i junked my engine and had to replace it i would just about bet you still have sand somewhere and i bet a bunch of it
Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
i done the same thing a year ago and the engine still has sand in it almost like concrete i junked my engine and had to replace it i would just about bet you still have sand somewhere and i bet a bunch of it
He said he removed the output hose from the pump and ran the engine and still nothing came out.

Last edited by picklenjim; 10-28-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got sand in it, the sand never reached the block, it was starting to get to the il cooler but was still ok before the thermostat housing. and it ran fine for a whole day and a half after all this. it just does not like the water hose in the front yard.

I tested the following. and keep in mind. this out drive does not use ear muffs, it has the low water pick up only. so it’s a cup thing around the front of the torpedo shaped part of the out drive.

when hose disconnected from the pump (hose coming from water pick up) and water hose on, no water comes out where it would be at the pump. BUT if i hold the cup part on the out drive and try and seal it off tighter water flows out.

so i hooked the hose back to the pump but not the pump to the motor. and tried starting it. without holding the cup on the low water pick up nothing. but when you seal it off by hand the pump works.....

SO the pump works, and when is in water like the ocean or river, it will work, but does not work on the hose. (explains why it worked 1.5 days in FL, but did not at the house.)

the thing is does it not work on the hose because the low water pick up cup thing does not seal good anymore? or does the pump not suck as good as it use to? I hate to put a new pump/impeller in the boat just so it can sit all winter bending the impeller blades.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Go for a whole new SWP. I bet you have scored the crap out of it and it no longer pumps strong enough. Do you have a water pressure gauge?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered

No i do not have a water pressure gauge.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Registered

I would wait until spring and then just install a new seawater pump kit (body, impeller, wear plates and quad ring). Kit is ~ $100 for everything. That way you know what you have, regarding a "good seawater pump". Much cheaper than an engine. If your LWP hose adapter (what you called a "cup") doesn't seal well enough to draw water into the pump, I would either replace the "cup", or figure out another way to secure it so that it seals better, as you mentioned. If you install a new pump and connect your "cup", you stand a good chance of ruining your new seawater pump impeller and body.

Last edited by bob_t; 11-06-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Go for a whole new SWP. I bet you have scored the crap out of it and it no longer pumps strong enough. Do you have a water pressure gauge?
On the 454/502 sea pumps, they have stainlees steel plates that can easily be replaced. No need to replace the entire pump.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

depending on when the last time it was changed... I would change it anyway.... Would take 2 hands to count how many times either me or one of my buddies were dead in water b/c of waterpumps!

Mine cracked on the inlet and chewed up the impellor. I backwashed from the t-stat and was good as new... Plastic can get weak and brittle over time..

my 2 cents
Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I always carry a complete new kit on the boat as a spare it sits right next to the spare MSD box lol
Old 11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

What about corrosion of the fitting on the transom plate at the connection to the inside hose? Heard this has been a major issue with bravo's in salt water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.