Painting/ Coating of stringer?

Notices

Painting/ Coating of stringer?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting/ Coating of stringer?

Hey guys,
I'm currently replacing the stringers and bulkheads in my 79 233. I'm almost done with all the stringers and was wondering if it would be a good idea to paint them or put some type of protective coating on them. They are made of tight knot red cedar and have 2 layers on 1700 bi-ax with epoxy resin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can see that area you can paint just for cosmetic reasons, otherwise I would not wory about it.

Jon
Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

I wanted to coat them in some type of paint or primer to help protect the fiberglass. I realize that the resin epoxy is pretty water resistant stuff, but I totally stripped the hull down and replaced all the stringer......I don't want to do it again. Thats why I was thinking a solid coat of paint may lock out moisture that may eventually creep under/into the fiberglass.

On a side note, what are the thoughts on #2 foam? Audio I used your write-up on your stringer replacement to guide me through much of this project, but I cant remember if you filled the gaps between the stringers with foam or not...that stuff is pretty expensive, so I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I did use it to fill it back in the same as stock. I am not so sure it is really needed and probably actually hurts a little bit as far as rot is concerned. I was more looking at the idea that my boat not having a core, the foam had a stuctural component to it as well as a boyancy one. You never see foam around most of that stuff so I am sure you would be OK with out it. I would foam in the tank however.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

what do u mean by core? I think my boat was constructed similar to your as it did come with foam insulation between all stringers and around tank.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

A core is a layer of material between the glass on the outside of the hull, stringers...... For example you have a couple layers of glass, then a layer of balsa, then a couple layers of glass, then stringers and so on.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info audio. Does anyone have any ideas for a type of paint or primer to help protect the fiberglass on the stringers and bulkheads? I'm am looking to close the floor up in a week or so and need to find some stuff asap. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

gelcoat !!!!!!!! if anything.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

I've done a few engine rooms. The easiest to use is Bilgekote by Interlux. It's a one part paint designed to protect the bilge area. If you want to go one step better I would recommend Inerlux Perfection. It's a two part polyurethane that's pretty easy to use. Awlgrip is also a two part polyurethane that works well but when working with two part paints the prep, mixture, temperture and humidity are critical.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

I am installing diesels in a 32ft sportfishing boat and recently used Sherwin-Williams Duraplate 235. It is a 2 part epoxy when mixed can be easily applied w/a brush or roller. I wouldn't recommend spraying it and make sure the area is well ventilated!!! Once dry it is extremely hard and impervious to oil and/or fuel. I would highly recomend it and am very happy with the results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.