Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Speaker wire distribution block [audio question] >

Speaker wire distribution block [audio question]

Notices

Speaker wire distribution block [audio question]

Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone to a 1 gauge wire for both the ground and the main feed wire, but, thanks for the tip, would have been a good bonfire if I hadn't.

I am using 3 amps total

1-1000 watt amp for subs
1- 600 watt amp for the components
1- 400 watt for the 2 pairs of 8" mids

I am also using 2 batteries for starting, and 2 for the stereo. I have an onboard charger that I leave plugged in when the boat is at the dock, or on the trailer.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pt 2:

Does anyone know if you can use the regular black "puck" style Sirius antenna in a boat? I have a spare "car kit" for my Sirius radio, but, have seen most people using the "white" marine style antenna. I figure if the regular one is able to stand up to highway speeds, rain, snow, cold and car washes, it should be ok in a boat? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Michael
Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
My set up [so far] is as follows

4- ten inch polk audio dual voice coil subwoofers, wired for a 4 ohm load, powered by a single Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp

4- sets of Polk audio 6.5" components [seperate woofer and tweeter] powered by a single Alpine PDX 4.150 amp wired for 4 ohm

Any Thoughts?
Michael
How are you getting or think you are getting a 4ohm load from these???

Looks like a 2ohm load on the pdx 4.150 and maybe even 1 ohm on the PDX 1.1000 depending on how they are wired.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pt 2:

Does anyone know if you can use the regular black "puck" style Sirius antenna in a boat? I have a spare "car kit" for my Sirius radio, but, have seen most people using the "white" marine style antenna. I figure if the regular one is able to stand up to highway speeds, rain, snow, cold and car washes, it should be ok in a boat? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Michael
Tried one with mine did not work at all.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

I'm using the regular car puck style Sirius antenna on mine. No issues in 4 seasons.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pt 2:

Thanks guys!
Michael
Sure can. Thats what I use. I also use an automotive style GPS antenna as well. Both are MUCH smaller than their marine counterpart and much less obvious.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Hey Guys!

I have seen the distribution blocks, but, most of the ones I have seen where "isolated", so, I will have to look around for one that is set up with all the terminals connected

My set up [so far] is as follows

4- ten inch polk audio dual voice coil subwoofers, wired for a 4 ohm load, powered by a single Alpine PDX 1.1000 amp

4- sets of Polk audio 6.5" components [seperate woofer and tweeter] powered by a single Alpine PDX 4.150 amp wired for 4 ohm

2- sets of 8" mid bass drivers powered by a single Alpine PDX 4.100 at
4 ohm load.

So, unless I wire all the speakers together as Griff suggested, I will have 8 wires going to the subwoofer amp. 16 wires going to the component amp. and 8 wires going to the mid bass amp.

The subs and mid bass speakers are mounted low in the boat, the components and tweeters are going to be mounted high on the gunnels. I currently have 2 Optima red tops for starting, and 2 blue tops to run the battery, and I ordered a 200 Amp marine Alternator [3 wire] to replace the rebuilt stock [4 wire] Mando unit the boat currently has.

Any Thoughts?
Michael
Wouldn't a 4.100 amp be 25 watts to each channel and the 4.150 be 37.5 watts per channel? If so way under powered. Most amps I have seem are 4.400 which would be 100 watts per channel. Maybe I'm just not understanding something here
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Default answer

Hey Guys

I have most of the parts and pieces ready to redo the stereo in my boat, I was wondering what you guys have used for "distribution blocks" for the speaker wires? I will have about 16 wires going into 1 amp and 10-12 wires going to 2 other amps, is there a distribution block or something similiar I can use to run the wires to before the amp? Or is it easier to just run all the wires to the amp itself?

Thanks for the input!
Michael
BUY ADDITIONAL AMP PROBLEM SOLVED I MEAN SERIOUSLY, WOULDNT THAT MAKE THE MOST SENSE ALL KIDDING ASIDE, JESUS WHAT YOU GOT A HOUSE BOAT.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
Wouldn't a 4.100 amp be 25 watts to each channel and the 4.150 be 37.5 watts per channel? If so way under powered. Most amps I have seem are 4.400 which would be 100 watts per channel. Maybe I'm just not understanding something here
An Alpine 4.100 is 4 x 100 watts RMS and they are actually more like 110-115 watts x 4.
A 4.150 is usually about 165-170 watts RMS x 4