Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts >

Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts

Notices

Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts

Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to get into any of the who done it stuff but I live in the area and I am having some repair done. Would you pm me with the shop to avoid please?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the second shop that did the work to the boat and Robert is way off base coming on here and saying that the work was not being completed. He brought me the boat in the last week of April at the beginning of our boating season and the busiest time of year. There was a 1 month delay as Robert had used 5200 to install everything on the transom including the K-planes and gimbals.I had to order 7 3M decal removal blades at $54.00 each that took 3 weeks to get from 3 different sources which all got destroyed in the removal process.The removal of the transom hardware took 3 men 2 days to get off without totally destroying the transom at which time we almost gave up on doing the project. The original inner transom removal went as it should until we got to the repair done by the other shop. He used Epoxy resin by the ton and was a nightmare to remove. The stringers were also rotten including the forward firewall and stringers forward along the gas tank.

Now we are in the busiest time of the year for us and have twice the work we thought when the boat arrived but the Gach's wanted it now and I did everything I could to get it done. They MUST have it for the July 4 weekend and 2 weeks before I lock the doors and refuse to take on any other work until it was. I put my crew on 14 hour days myself working 16 to 18 hour days 7 days a week. Robert tells me that I should lower my work ethics and just put it back together the fastest way possible so he could boat on the forth.I went through about 10 times the grinding discs need to do the job because of trying to sand between layups before they were totally cured. Then during the week before the forth Roberts wife calls me while I am grinding in their boat and wants to know when it is going to be done. I tell her about 4 o'clock on saturday (July 2) and she goes ballistic on me saying that is not good enough for her she wants it Friday. I hang up after she starts getting nasty. I stop what I was doing and pull the boat out and bring in 3 other jobs that were not going to make the weekend but did.Instead of busting or balls on their boat 3 other families, my help and my family got to enjoy the weekend at which time I had only had 1 day off in 4 months (thanks Tina). Robert calls me back on Tuesday the 5th wanting to know when he can get his boat and I told him that I was going to work on it daily and doing it the proper way (not rushing everything) and we agreed that if I did not have it done and ready for water testing by the following Wednesday that I would wave all the addition costs of the repair which was thousands of dollars. We shook hands and he went home. He called me the next day telling me he changed his mind and decided that he wanted it now. Over the next 2 days we finished all glass work and he came and got it unrigged or painted. His decision not mine.Every time Robert came to the shop all without us knowing he was coming we were working on his boat.I could have had this boat completely done with 3 more days work and I would have felt a lot better about the beating I took but the customer is always right.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
I am the second shop that did the work to the boat and Robert is way off base coming on here and saying that the work was not being completed. He brought me the boat in the last week of April at the beginning of our boating season and the busiest time of year. There was a 1 month delay as Robert had used 5200 to install everything on the transom including the K-planes and gimbals.I had to order 7 3M decal removal blades at $54.00 each that took 3 weeks to get from 3 different sources which all got destroyed in the removal process.The removal of the transom hardware took 3 men 2 days to get off without totally destroying the transom at which time we almost gave up on doing the project. The original inner transom removal went as it should until we got to the repair done by the other shop. He used Epoxy resin by the ton and was a nightmare to remove. The stringers were also rotten including the forward firewall and stringers forward along the gas tank.

Now we are in the busiest time of the year for us and have twice the work we thought when the boat arrived but the Gach's wanted it now and I did everything I could to get it done. They MUST have it for the July 4 weekend and 2 weeks before I lock the doors and refuse to take on any other work until it was. I put my crew on 14 hour days myself working 16 to 18 hour days 7 days a week. Robert tells me that I should lower my work ethics and just put it back together the fastest way possible so he could boat on the forth.I went through about 10 times the grinding discs need to do the job because of trying to sand between layups before they were totally cured. Then during the week before the forth Roberts wife calls me while I am grinding in their boat and wants to know when it is going to be done. I tell her about 4 o'clock on saturday (July 2) and she goes ballistic on me saying that is not good enough for her she wants it Friday. I hang up after she starts getting nasty. I stop what I was doing and pull the boat out and bring in 3 other jobs that were not going to make the weekend but did.Instead of busting or balls on their boat 3 other families, my help and my family got to enjoy the weekend at which time I had only had 1 day off in 4 months (thanks Tina). Robert calls me back on Tuesday the 5th wanting to know when he can get his boat and I told him that I was going to work on it daily and doing it the proper way (not rushing everything) and we agreed that if I did not have it done and ready for water testing by the following Wednesday that I would wave all the addition costs of the repair which was thousands of dollars. We shook hands and he went home. He called me the next day telling me he changed his mind and decided that he wanted it now. Over the next 2 days we finished all glass work and he came and got it unrigged or painted. His decision not mine.Every time Robert came to the shop all without us knowing he was coming we were working on his boat.I could have had this boat completely done with 3 more days work and I would have felt a lot better about the beating I took but the customer is always right.

Looking at the time line of the posts this seems a little more accurate, I have no personal experience with anyone involved here, but when I first read it and looked at the dates I found it odd someone would start a transom repair in april and expect to be in the water already?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, with the extra work caused by the first shop it would not be a quick job! I would like to find out who the first shop was to avoid a costly mistake.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

It must be the new OSO members but I have another new customer from Wisconsin that drop his boat off a couple of weeks ago that thought he was going to get R&R and rebuild for his Big block at between $1000-$1500 when that was the R&R and tear down price. The pictures will show why this cost alone was higher than normal. It took 2 days just to get the rear motor mount bolts out without taking a saw to the transom inner plate. 3/8's bolt heads where rusted down to 12 MM and we had to hammer the sockets on.How do you salt water guys do it all the time? This is the 4th salt water engine job in 2 years and I warn them up front what we can run into but they do not listen. It needs over 6K in add ons plus the port CMI leaking salt water into #1 cylinder without the cost of the rebuild but he is only willing to go up to 4K for a finished job and wants it next week. Just a heads up in case this guy wants to start a thread about how unhappy he is.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts-dsc01201.jpg   Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts-dsc01200.jpg   Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts-dsc01205.jpg  

Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts-dsc01207.jpg   Alignment Offshore Eng Mounts-dsc01208.jpg  

Last edited by brian41; 08-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

if you want to r&r and rebuild big blocks for $1500 i got 2 more on there way to you tomorrow lol
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lil red
if you want to r&r and rebuild big blocks for $1500 i got 2 more on there way to you tomorrow lol
No problem I will use the bolts and old parts off of his engine.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Every time I get pissed off working on strictly fresh water stuff, I remember the few salt water boats that I've had the "good fortune" to work on. Those pictures bring back some ugly memories.

For instance, we have one (super cheap) customer who bought a 28' Bayliner from North Carolina. He "saved a bundle" over buying one up here and this one was a real salt water beauty. It also included such wonderful options as a latex paint job (house paint of course) and all of the problems you might expect from salt. He's more than made up the savings in repairs on stuff that's broken, cracked, corroded or just plain vaporized from the salt water. You can have it!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

If you think that's fun join me working on some plow trucks over the winter...... at least the rust flakes dont fall in your eyes in the boat lol
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Every time I get pissed off working on strictly fresh water stuff, I remember the few salt water boats that I've had the "good fortune" to work on. Those pictures bring back some ugly memories.

For instance, we have one (super cheap) customer who bought a 28' Bayliner from North Carolina. He "saved a bundle" over buying one up here and this one was a real salt water beauty. It also included such wonderful options as a latex paint job (house paint of course) and all of the problems you might expect from salt. He's more than made up the savings in repairs on stuff that's broken, cracked, corroded or just plain vaporized from the salt water. You can have it!
That's why I flush and squirt off the boat after every ride. If not you've got junk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.