Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Must be the day for starter questions? here's mine! >

Must be the day for starter questions? here's mine!

Notices

Must be the day for starter questions? here's mine!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Must be the day for starter questions? here's mine!

Hey Guys

Any input would be appreciated.

Late last year my boat started to develop a really "weird" intermittent problem. when the boat was "cold" after sitting overnite or for an entire day. I would get in, turn the key and NOTHING would happen, no solenoids clicking, no change in volt gauge, it was like the key switch wasn't even hooked up?

Sometimes I would turn the key 2 or 3 times and other times it would be 6 or 7 and then "bam" the boat would fire right up. I figured it was a loose connection, ground, bad solenoid, the "usual suspects"

Here is the weird part: Once the boat has "started" once, it fires up on the first try for the rest of the day/nite. I was out one day last year and had to turn the key probably 1/2 a dozen times before it started at the dock, naturally I was a little nervous about going out in the river and not being able to restart the boat to get home, so, I turned the key and it fired up instantly, I went for a 30 minute run, shut the boat off, turned the key, and once again it fired right up. we anchored and swam for a few hours, decided to come home, and AGAIN the boat fired right up. I got back to the dock that nite, and when I came down the next day to go out again I had to turn the key 3 or 4 times before it would start?

I have had this happen in numerous race/classic cars, but, it normally happens when the starter gets HOT, not when its Cold?

I am thinking of changing the "key switch" and see if that helps, since all the other connections "seem" ok

Any input?
Michael
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
im going with the slave solenoid try that. Otherwise if you have the Merc manual on the enging it has a battery of test to figure out what part is wrong. I would diagnose it the best you can before throwing parts at it. Check your batteries. Check all your connections for a good connection and no corrosion. Then start with cheap parts, slave solenoid, ignition switch. last choice would be the starter
Slave solenoid x2.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered

Where would slave solenoid be? On the starter or remote? Boat is a 1996 Baja, single 454EFI B1 drive,

Anyway to test it? Would a "regular" automotive solenoid work? What would cause it to only act up when it was cold?

Thanks
Michael
Old 04-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nutral safty switch? Try holding the key over to start it and wiggle your shifter.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Registered

exactly the same problem on my 496 it was the slave selenoid.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

Does any of the accesories work before you hit the starter? Is so I agree slave solenoid.
If not I had that fuse block go bad. Long shot but check it if you still have it on.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by n20michael
Where would slave solenoid be? On the starter or remote? Boat is a 1996 Baja, single 454EFI B1 drive,

Anyway to test it? Would a "regular" automotive solenoid work? What would cause it to only act up when it was cold?

Thanks
Michael
It is at the rear of the engine, see 17 below. To be sure use a test light on the small terminals of the solenoid. If you turn the key and the light comes on and the solenoid doesn't click, you have a bad solenoid.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Damnit forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails Must be the day for starter questions? here's mine!-sol15.png  
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help, will try and diagnose it this week sometime, thanks again!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Great! Anyone have a part number?

I looked online and the ones I could find on Ebay looked just like regular automotive style remote solenoids, could I just use one of those? Or are the marine/Merc ones different?

Thanks!
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.