No power steering function. >

No power steering function.

Notices

No power steering function.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Unfortunately...looks like I'm going to have to start chasing this by replacing parts one by one. In my experience...bad pumps make noise so I'm thinking a bad actuator valve...stay tuned.
My pumnp was making a loud hummmmming noise.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
My system is about 2 1/2~3 full turns lock to lock. The wheel is easy to turn 1/2~3/4 turn in either direction from center...that's where the resistance begins. Both drives turn left and right fully as they should. I have had stern drive boats in the past and know how the steering effort feels with and with out power...so I really don't think I have a cable binding issue.

The idea of a by-pass valve being stuck open makes a lot of sense allowing an open loop with no resistance. The other thing I am wondering is if there is an air bleed on these systems that allows air to be bled off. All of the starboard side equipment was disconnected when the new transom assembly was installed for that engine and drive and as far as I know all that was done was to hook everything back up and run it.

Does anyone know if there is a bleed procedure for these systems when a pump or lines are replaced?

I am a novice on marine power steering systems so I appreciate all comments and suggestions.
I bled mine by turning it stop to stop several times...eventually took all the air out of the system.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered

I doubt there is an air bleed issue, you can run them right out of fluid and simply fill the reservoir back up and be in business.

The bypass may be internal within the pump or external near the ram
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always like to close up loose ends ...so here is what I discovered...Bad power steering pump...and I had to look around to find one. Turns out mine uses the old style "non-metric" that was used from 78~82. I found one here in town at Boat House Marine in Riviera Beach. Al at Boat House let me have the last one they had that had been gathering dust for a few years for $450 (list $569). I installed it and promtly blew the high pressure hose. Back to Al for a $80 Mercruiser hose.

End of story....I have power steering again now. I plan to take the old one apart to investigate and possibly re-build.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pressure relief valve is located under the big nut where the pressure hose attaches....remove the valve and spring are right under....not seen that happen though....try with engine running have somebody turn the sterring all the way to one side. hole on to the pressure hose, see if you feel pressure build in the hose...you should feel pressure all the way against the stop...if you do not feel any change sounds like the pump....most of the time the actuator at the transom does not lose both ways, but anything can happen..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

Thanks for updating things, it always helps when other people archive the thread later.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common problem is the pump shaft snaps inside the pump. The pulley still rotates in te bearings but the shaft does not turn the impellor.