Need a bit of help with K-planes

Notices

Need a bit of help with K-planes

Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a bit of help with K-planes

Hi Everyone,
I'm fairly new to offshore boating coming from the cruiser world. I'm hoping someone has run into this issue before and is able to help me. I have a 2000 Scarab 29 with twin 350 MAG MPI's. Most people with these boats report a top end GPS speed of between 66 and 68 mph. My boat has 280 hours and I can only seem to get around 62 or 63 mph and I'm only reving out to around 4600 rpm. The boat doesn't ever seem to get light when I'm running it at WOT. I was looking around the boat the other night and I don't think my K-Planes are fully retracting. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue as there doesn't seem to be much information available online nor any obvious adjustments on the boat.

[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does look like the cylinder may not be fully retracted. The plate should be less than straight to the hull (assuming straight to the hull chines is zero). On mine they retract all the way to the black painted area on the ram, but I am not sure why yours are not going all the way in.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered

They should retract so that no silver is showing on the shaft. Someone may have installed spacers inside the rams so that the ram travel is limited or you may need to bleed the system of air. Good Luck.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

of make sure your resivour is not over full,dont know what style pump are on them beut if their is no vent hole in the top of the pump it msy be stopping the fluid from going in the tank if its to full..
Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Has anyone had the rams apart before? Are they fairly easy to take apart and reassemble? Will I be able to save the internal o-rings or will they score when removed from the cylinder body?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Registered

Does anyone have a set of rams they would like to sell?