Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
What is the best most reliable brand of electric bilge pump for a small 20' boat >

What is the best most reliable brand of electric bilge pump for a small 20' boat

Notices

What is the best most reliable brand of electric bilge pump for a small 20' boat

Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default What is the best most reliable brand of electric bilge pump for a small 20' boat

Had a Attwood S500 bilge pump and it quit. No idea how old it is, but the motor will not turn. Looking at the Rule and Atwood bilge pumps and was wondering what is the most reliable brand since (like most bilge pumps) it is a pain in the a$$ to get at. The boat is a 20' Formula I/O
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These work great compared to the Rules and Atwoods. You mount them on the transom and hang a hose off it with a screen pickup on the end down into the bildge. Don't have to get down under the engine to install. Check around on the internet. Prices vary. I found one for $99 when westmarine wanted $175. These are rubber impeller type pumps and really move some water.
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xca...uppy_Pump.html
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that pump in the link flows 377 gph seems a little low for a bilge pump in a 20' boat
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoda_Man
that pump in the link flows 377 gph seems a little low for a bilge pump in a 20' boat
I quess it depends on how bad your boat leaks. When I'm out all day I only hit the pump 3-4 times and it's dry with in 30 seconds. These are quality pumps that last for years compaired to those plastic junk rule and atwood pumps that your lucky to get a year out of. And you don't have to crawl under the engine to replace them all the time. I just replaced one that was in my boat 20 years. If you have ever noticed rule and atwood sell the pumps (cartridge) alone with out the mounting bracket cause they need replacement so often.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always had good luck with Rule, never lost one yet.

Just replaced the Attwood pump (Sahara 500) in my shower sump box for the 2nd time in 2 yrs. Same thing with my neighbor, on his second in same time. Next time it goes out, I'm replacing the whole shower box with a Rule.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of mounting it on the transome and running just a hose with a screen to the bilge, but I would want one with more GPH rating...something on the order of 11/1500. Just my .02. Lets get wet!