Notices

Carb Question...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Moore
Actually, what really bothers me is a so called professional engine builder that install heads designed to increase low speed torque and single plane intake manifolds designed for high speeds. It is just this type of crazy engine combinations that make the good engine builders in the marine industry look foolish.
A friend on these boards just ran 126mph. Single engine / Bravo.
Tunnel Ram. 2 X1050's (actually bigger but we won't go there for now) on a 598 turning 6500rpm.

Yes, pump gas.

Many would say carbs too big, not enough rpm for a tunnel ram, cam too big, heads too big.......you need torque...you don't need hp.....

Anyhow, 126 is screamin for a single engine pump gas Naturally Aspirated inboard/outboard boat.

===================

Holley's formulas are safe. If one want's to be safe, then they work if you don't mind giving up a little power.

Again, I'm not being rude. We could go on and on about why and how larger carbs can an do work.

It's not a one reply subject. Even after 100's of replies some just don't get it. They may need to experience it to make sense and maybe then they can understand it...if they didn't early on.

BTW: Math can lead one into danger...especially when motors are concerned. In 2011 we are nowhere near understanding 50% of what we call a gasoline engine. Believe it or not.

Math can help of course, but you must know how it works (the calculation you are working with) and what you are working on's properties (in this case an engine's cfm demands.)

Here's 1 (of many) twist: say 10% of your air/fuel goes right out your exhaust during overlap. Now, your 90% VE engine actually needs to flow what your math would come up with for 100%.

Last edited by SB; 10-10-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-25-2011, 05:33 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I will admit that with the slow economy and the boating business all but dead, I am on this forum to help promote my business (as are you).
I

I hope that people reading this appreciate my honesty.

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
[email protected]
Dennis, YOU ARE A AZZ CLOWN!!! Hey, why don't you sell a few more copy's of your outdated book and use the money to become a PAID member or better yet, being that you are going to "promote your business" on here, why don't you spend the 500$ and become a PAID advertiser!!! As far as "holley carb's having the needle and seats dry out over winter" about 25 years ago they came up with MODERN materials to make needles and seats from that seem to last YEARS AND YEARS, I have pulled holleys of the shelf that I built 15 years ago with quality float bowl gaskets/ metering block gaskets, blown them off and put them on a motor without having any leaks. I think the last time a boat came with a quadrajet was what, 1989? This is 2011 DUMBFUK, why don't you tell some oso'ers about this modern invention called "fuel injection" or didn't you learn about that back in quadrajet school, you are good entertainment, you remind me of the old timers that were convinced they needed to rip all that modern hei stuff and efi off motors and bolt in points distributors because god forbid this modern stuff is just to complicated , Smitty[/QUOTE]

THANK GOD YOU POSTED THAT! I was about to delete my account after reading that BS about Holley carbs....

I have a race engine that gets started once every 3-4 months... It sat for over a year one time.... The Pro Systems Dominator fires right up every time and runs perfect every time...

So much for your needle/seat theory Dennis Moore........

Are there any mods on this site? Clean that BS up...
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree , Patrick builds all my carbs with prosystem if he did law mowers I would run prosystem on it . His dyno numbers don't lie period!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
I agree , Patrick builds all my carbs with prosystem if he did law mowers I would run prosystem on it . His dyno numbers don't lie period!
If you think Patrick builds a good carb I have one of his 950's I'll sell you cheap. The only thing I haven't changed is the base and bowls. I'll never buy anything but a Holley HP again.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliminatorshane
Did Patrick also build your engines? I don't understand what you mean about "his dyno numbers don't lie period".

Put an 02 sensor on your boat engine and see how good the metering on the carb is, then come back and post some data. I love all these mail order carb places that claim they can "dial you in" based on your cam specs and engine size.