Notices

holley 650 adjusts

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holley 650 adjusts

i have a holley dual feed elec choke vacuum sec 650,its was just torn down and cleaned all new gaskets etc, now the motor idles but runs really rough and smell of raw gas ,no leaks screws are 1 and 1/4 turn out back off boat and drive are black, put new fuel in and filter. any suggestions
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Yes make sure the baseplate throttle plates are adjusted right they need to be .020 open on the idle slots for the idle circuit to work right if they are more than that it will pull fuel from the main circuit
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you will need to check is the throttle bores while the engine is idling. Look and see if you have nozzle drip. A small drip coming from the venturi boosters. This is usually caused by a high float level or needle and seats not sealing. Otherwise I would suggest replacing the power valve (it may have a ruptured diaphragm). Other problems could be wrong metering block gaskets or a warped metering block (or leaking metering block gaskets).

The biggest problems with Holley carbs is the needle and seats in the float bowls will leak even when brand new!
Sometimes the carb kit will sit on the parts shelf too long and the needle and seats will dry out. If you are lucky they will start working/become pliable after they are soaked in the gasoline for a while, other times they will never soften up enough to seal. You should always have a spare set in your boat tool box.

Make sure that the idle air bleeds are not dirty, if they are dirty the idle mixture will be rich (by design, air is introduced into the idle wells to lean out the A/F mixture).
The idle air bleeds are next to the venturis (barrels).

The most common problem when rebuilding a Holley carb is getting the old gasket material off of a never rebuilt carb. The gaskets used by Holley on new carbs are different than in the rebuild kits and they are practically glued into place. Gasket remover and a brass wire brush for about a 1/2 an hour will get them off (hard on a mechanics flat rate!). Make sure you got it all off before you reassembled the carb.

The accelerator pump diaphragm/gasket will leak on about 50% of them when they are replaced. Sometimes the surfaces will need to be flattened.

The metering block idle fuel wells and main metering wells have small fuel/air bleeds inside the metering block that will clog and are almost impossible to clean out by soaking in carb cleaner. It may require a new metering block.

Sorry, just some of the joys of owning a Holley carb!
Dennis Moore
Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Registered

If it was just rebuilt, your float levels could just be slightly high. Check to see if the boosters drip while the engine is idling with the boat in the water. Often the carburetor will not sit level due to the attitude of the boat while sitting in the water, the float levels may need to be lowered slightly. Set the floats with the sight plugs out of the sides of the bowls and the engine idling with boat sitting in calm water... Simple

Don't fear a Holley carb. Some guys aren't that good at what they do, so simple issues overwhelm them and they tend to over-sensationalize about minor issues... Then their business becomes slow and they spend alot of time rambling on and on about nonsense.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered

thank you, carb was torn down and soaked and cleaned ,i think its floats and mixtures screws need to adjust thank you,let everone one no tomorrow what happens
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by cubicinches
If it was just rebuilt, your float levels could just be slightly high. Check to see if the boosters drip while the engine is idling with the boat in the water. Often the carburetor will not sit level due to the attitude of the boat while sitting in the water, the float levels may need to be lowered slightly. Set the floats with the sight plugs out of the sides of the bowls and the engine idling with boat sitting in calm water... Simple

Originally Posted by cubicinches
Don't fear a Holley carb. Some guys aren't that good at what they do, so simple issues overwhelm them and they tend to over-sensationalize about minor issues... Then their business becomes slow and they spend alot of time rambling on and on about nonsense.

Cubic Inches, Not tough on your flat rate either I'm guessing ? LOL.

Last edited by SB; 08-31-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how some guys will not drive an American car or truck because they think they are junk. But those same guys are so offended when a person suggests that an American carb, designed 60 years ago, might not be very good!

Some of you guys really have an emotional attachment to Holley Carbs (you would think I was insulting your mother!).

Pull yourselves together will ya?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Moore
Funny how some guys will not drive an American car or truck because they think they are junk. But those same guys are so offended when a person suggests that an American carb, designed 60 years ago, might not be very good!

Some of you guys really have an emotional attachment to Holley Carbs (you would think I was insulting your mother!).

It has less to do with Holley carb's and more to do with the fact that you're flooding this board with old, out-dated, and more often then not incorrect info. A lot has changed over the years and you obviously have not. Take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if your business is suffering because of the economy, or because you're a tired old blowhard. You whine about the economy and then talk about how great Chinese manufacturing is. You want to make a living building marine performance engines and write articles about the dangers of Global warming. You are a walking contradiction. Do a little more research before you post, or possibly add the caveat "in my experience/opinion".

These are my observations and opinion and I'm not trying to speak for everyone, just myself..

ps. If you would like an education on modern cylinder heads and why someone would be so foolish as to use a single plane intake with a small runner head then start a thread about it and you might learn something new..
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

I'm not offended by anything you've stated in any of your posts, and I'm unclear as to the basis for your statement regarding what vehicle a person drives. I actually drive a $55k 2011 American truck, and I'd be the first one to tell you that it has issues. You see, that's being objective. All things mechanical, at some point, will have issues.

No love affair here with Holley carburetors, other than they perform excellent, and are most definitely the logical choice on most engine platforms which I regularly build. I'm actaully a huge proponent of Quadrajet carburetors... They are an excellent carburetor, and perform well in the proper application. They do, however, have their own set of inherent issues... No different than a Holley. Notice that I'm not on here denouncing either... No love affair with either. They both have issues from time time to time, and I repair them... Like anything else that fails. That's what I do... doing enough of it keeps me from having to grovel on the internet for business.

As long as we're on the subject, I find it funny that a person states on another thread that he's on here to promote his business and that it's ultimately important that his potential cutomer base here realize that he's honest to the core, and doesn't like to mislead people into believing that they need fancy aftermarket components to have their engine perform correctly. Yet the same person turns around and makes a lengthy, unfounded, and somewhat misleading, post which would horrify most everyday Holley owners... on a thread in which the original poster probably needs nothing more than a simple float adjustment. A bit ridiculous, even though I think we all realize that the post was probably just meant to be infammatory to the crowd here that's got this person's number... But, whatever...

Oh, and supposing a Holley carburetor was designed 60 years ago... Would that alone make it bad? And, if so, would it still be prudent to recommend that someone use an iron dual plane manifold from a '60's Chevelle?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Was my 2004 Silverado made by Honda or Nissan ? Boat made in US. Engine by Detroit...maybe made in Mexico. Sleds/engines from Wisconsin.

All parts I have designed are made here in the US.

So don't start !

I design and sell niche performance parts.

I also repair cars/trucks to pass Federal emmissions. 99.9% are fuel injected.

Since I live performance I burn a ton of fuel. I'm good at that.

I don't give Global Warming lectures. Thanks for all the snow though !

A few examples of the carbs I've rebuilt this year: pair of Strombergs, large and small Rochester 2bbl, quadrajet (imagine that), Weber 2bbl, a Holley, few Demons, etc,etc. And I'm not a carb rebuild shop. They where all built for their application and run well for those.

Maybe they come to me because I don't fear them. Some came into my shop, a few where left off at the house. I even received one in the front of my sled trailer. LOL.

Speaking of Mother's - my Mom (72) feared computers and because of such they disgruntled her. Almosty disgusted. Well, I sent her to a class, she learned the basics, now understands them enough to smile when the subject comes up. Guess what, she now likes them. After all this time.

Maybe it's time to get over your fear of Holley carbs.

Your never too old to learn something new. My mom did it, you can too.

Last edited by SB; 08-31-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.