Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
502 mpi/efi switch to Mobile One synthetic Good or bad? >

502 mpi/efi switch to Mobile One synthetic Good or bad?

Notices

502 mpi/efi switch to Mobile One synthetic Good or bad?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bikercrze1
I did extensive research online about synthetic oil use in boats back when I first got into boating. After all the red tape the most experienced boaters in the checkmate forum I had been on at the time made these points.

1) Boat specific oils such as quicksilver have additives to protect the engine against the harsh corrosive environments boats are submitted to.

2) Mobil-1 and other car specific oils do not have these additives and therefore do not protect against internal engine corrosion if you were to accidentally get some sea water in the crank case as the oil will break down quickly.

3) If you do want to use synthetic oil they advised me to go with quicksilver, or amsoil. this is only more info to help you out so if I am wrong it is based on information i was given.
13 years and a combined 1,000 hours of use has proven to me Mobil 1 does just fine in marine engines.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the appeal, I ran Mobil-1 in my little 4 banger chapparal for 3 years with no issues I swear by the stuff. I am only saying what they told me makes sense about it not protecting the engine in a failure where water enters the block or in highly corrosive environments.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bikercrze1
I can see the appeal, I ran Mobil-1 in my little 4 banger chapparal for 3 years with no issues I swear by the stuff. I am only saying what they told me makes sense about it not protecting the engine in a failure where water enters the block or in highly corrosive environments.
most oils,specially synthetics have corrosion protection additives...marine oils probly have more of it...same for gear oil
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zschaefer38
I figure one person would call me Nancy or Daisy. LOL I just bought the ol' PQ a few weeks ago, a small upgrade from my 24 Baja Outlaw! I tend to drive more "tame" because I usually have 3 kids on board, all under 8 years old and my boy being 15 months old. Hence why bigger boat with amenities. But I am very very anal about maintenance. So I have done oil and filters, doing impellers, bellows, gimbal bearing and u joints this winter. Plugs after I burn fog oil off in summer.
holly $hit, a responsible boater! wanted to give ya props on your purchase and driving...i try and stay away from oil discussions as it's seems to be a religion in itself!! LOL
as a plug for the valvoline guy i would rather use valvoline racing oil if it meant i could now change the oil more ofter?! unless they have changed it? valvoline racing has one of the highest zinc contents. cheap and they run sales on it all the time.