Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system. >

opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system.

Notices

opions on 2 different ways to winterinze the engine cooling system.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Minimum 5. Usually 6+.
Same here too, I've been doing this for eight years on my Wellcraft, no problems. Matter of fact after Turkey dinner tomorrow this is what I'll be doing.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never could undersrand why guys look for the easy way out on winterizing. Wont spend 30 extra bucks to get -100 pure polyglycol. Read the ingredients on the pink stuff its not glycol it's methyl alchohol. As to the way you do it if you just start the engine till you see antifreeze out the exhaust remember the block is being bypassed until thermostat opens. If you wait until engine is up to temp then switch over to glycol you will PROBABLY be ok. Really want to take a $5000 gamble cause it takes longer to drain system first? I have seen cracked blocks from not draining prior to glycol addition. One more point the minus 50 antifreeze is no longer a liquid at about 10 degrees ABOVE zero. The minus 50 is the temp which it expands to burst pressure. Minus100 stays liquid til minus 30 or so.

Last edited by supercat; 11-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.