Notices

serpentine vs v-belt

Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serpentine vs v-belt

Building new engine so all options are open. Is serpentine any better-worse ?? than v belt. Closed cooling, bravo, n/a, salt water engine. Thanks for your time. R.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about doing it but the cost was HUGE! Then I thought about it some. You don't see to many high HP motors with Serp. belts on them. Why change what works. I think that the V-belts give you a little more room up front as well it seems.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

i was always told that serpentine is better,creating less drag and less chance of throwing a belt...all the blue engines now have serpentine...jmo
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pqjack
i was always told that serpentine is better,creating less drag and less chance of throwing a belt...all the blue engines now have serpentine...jmo
That is what I was always told as well. Then when I thought about it.... I have never tossed a belt. I think the loss of HP is probably small. So it comes down to cost. Tons of money for.....???
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

i agree...not worth to change over,but if he's starting from scratch, there's a lot of good used parts around...i've been stranded because of a loose belt slipping on the alternator
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on the engine family size and HP, belt type may be a small thing to consider. If you will be spending good money and boating in salt water, use the money to go with the closed cooling and a good aluminum head equipped engine. In less you have a good annual budget for supercharging I would recommend staying with a reasonable HP normally aspirated build and being able to use standard less expensive Bravo drives. Kind of a good piece of advice is to set your max budget $$ now and work backwards from there so you can complete your project and GO BOATING!! If your putting money in a smaller older hull it just does not make a lot of sense to put big expensive power in it unless you've got a good bottomless budget to set up and use all that extra power!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Registered

Default serpentine vs v-belt

THANKS for the response. I'm doing a shp, afr, Madara build. 450h 500t goal. To clean the front end up I'm going to relocate the p/s pump to mid starboard side(knowing it's a big deal). Alt on lower port, moving up to mid also. So far it sounds like a 50/50 vote. Have more threads to follow. Thanks again for your valued input. R.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Serp belts will out last a traditional v-belt, lower maintenance is the main reason you see them on cars. Remember when service stations had thousands of v-belts hanging on the walls in plain site? Was a very common replacement. You would be able to keep one spare belt on your boat and have p.o.m.

However- You could lose an alternator, or ps belt on a v drive set up and still get home without a spare. The single dedicated belt on the sea water pump along with battery power for the ignition will keep you going. However my experience is the one that goes is always the one you don't have a spare for, or the one that requires taking all the others off
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

I too have been considering doing this conversion on my current engine builds. Not wanting to spend to much money as the benift is only a cleaner look and easier maintenance when removing/replacing water pumps, sea pumps, alternators, etc..... Please keep me inform on you build as you find the parts, hoping to find aome automotive excange parts from salvage yards to ease the cost.

Cliff
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

As 4bus stated you can make it home without a ps or alt belt, but not without that sea water pump belt. The flip side is throwing/breaking belts is pretty rare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.