Notices

Removing K-Plane

Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing K-Plane

I am removing the K-Plane 280's from my formula to get them cleaned up and new paint. The pin that holds the tab to the transom assembly will not budge. Any tricks or tips? The tab itself pivots freely, just wondering if I need a second set of hands to hold the tab while I drive the pin out...
Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt drive it out, I would use a slide hammer to pull it out. Driving it out will only distort the end. Ask me how I know that....
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG! Have FUN! I just did this on my Cig. One side came right out...thought is was going to be an easy two minute job...ahh NOPE

I tried banging it out with a 3lb mini sledge, then an air hammer, then finally decided to cut the shaft out with a die grinder...this thing was in there like it was welded, but the tab still pivoted just like you mention.

Good luck, this was the most aggravating thing I have done on the boat so far, because it should have been so easy.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
I wouldnt drive it out, I would use a slide hammer to pull it out. Driving it out will only distort the end. Ask me how I know that....
+1. I've had two boats with these things, and had the intention of disassembling the tabs to paint them. Immediately gave up when I realized the only way to remove these shafts is destructively.

The tab portions usually stay ok, but its the transom bracket bores that were made too tight, and then they corrode together. If they wanted these to ever come apart, they should have fitted them with a fiber or bronze bushing at the factory.

If you really need them out, the only real way is to cut the pin at each hinge opening, get the tab out of the way, then remove the pieces individually.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Default fixx

+2 slide hammer,,first see if the long bolt will at leaste turn,,saturate the hing pins firsr with pb blaster of krotoil,,this step will have to be repeted several times a day for a few days,,if you can get tne hing pins to turn then a slide hammer will work great,,if they wont budge then you may have to cut them apart..
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Let them soak with some Q20 penetrating oil and it should come out with slide hammer.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What slide hammer are you using to pull the pin? I am soaking the pins every day with PB Blaster.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

use a level and or straight edge on the bottom....they do bend!

i welded a nut with tab shaft size on one end of tube and the size of slide hammer on the other.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

ps...the corrosion grows in those shaft holes. those shafts don't come out as nice as you would think on a new set!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Like I said, both times, I just ended up masking everything off as good as possible, grinding/wheeling them and repainting in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.