Amps in the Eng Compartment >

Amps in the Eng Compartment

Notices

Amps in the Eng Compartment

Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3dman
the only huge problem with it in the engine compartment is that it is not USCG legal. Explosion hazard. not to mention it is usually above 100° in there.. But i'm not sure if you have the same laws in Canada
What would make an amp an "explosion hazard" ??? Only explosion hazard in engine compartment would be gas fumes accompanied by a spark.
Your amp make a lot of sparks
Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The amps in my Kachina have fuses built into them & the vents are pretty big on the sides & back, I always use my blower anytime the engines are running so I would think venting fumes would not be a problem. But I do understand why the cg would say that, I have seen a few boat fires & they are not pretty! All amps have to vent heat some how wheather vents or heat sinks, unless you are really pushing to the max while running I would be more worried of a spark plug wire arcing than a diode popping. my .02. Randy
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KachinaShadow
What would make an amp an "explosion hazard" ??? Only explosion hazard in engine compartment would be gas fumes accompanied by a spark.
Your amp make a lot of sparks
If one of the transistors decide to let go, it burns up. The amps don't have proper venting screens, and that explains the hazard.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a stainless steel stackable rack for my amps with a cover to protect them. The computer fan pulls air from the open end of the seat and blows through the rack, works really well..if I get a chance I'll take some pics and post them
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I ended up having to mount my amps in the engine compartment to keep them close enough to the batteries. I dont think it is ideal but options are limited sometimes.

I am running a 2500 watt, and two 1000 watt amps with four 100# kinetic batteries pushing 4-12” RE subs, a single 18” RE sub and 8 – 7.7 JL components. I can play for about 6 or 7 hours on blast without any problems at all (motor not running). We also use the stereo all the time with the motor running and never have any problem.

I have never had any problems. I guess you could have a problem theoretically but I think you have better odds getting hit by a parked car. Just my 0.02.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered

Last edited by mr3dman; 12-12-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja_brian
I have never had any problems. I guess you could have a problem theoretically but I think you have better odds getting hit by a parked car. Just my 0.02.
True that, but if you get a "safety" check they could be diks and give you a ticket. Here in chi town, the coasties have nothing better to do........

Brian, thanks for the info on the cam btw.. I'll be in touch
Old 12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mr3dman
the only huge problem with it in the engine compartment is that it is not USCG legal. Explosion hazard. not to mention it is usually above 100° in there.. But i'm not sure if you have the same laws in Canada
Ditto.

If your boat burns, your insurance adjuster will likely discover the non-USCG approved amplifier in the bilge and deny coverage.

ANYTHING in the bilge that has electricity going thru it is supposed to be sparkproof/explosionproof.

Just don't want you to do something without knowing the possible consequences.

MC
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys gonna put them on the fwd side of the front firewall under the bench seats with a small fan. keeps everything legal and hopefully cool enough. got a 1100w, a 600w, and a 500 w. they are pushing 3 12" subs and 8 6.5 two ways should sound way better than the four 6.5's the boat came with.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Look fellas, the coasties can be diks when it comes to subjective matter, boat is "too loud", going "too fast", etc. but the laws are the laws. I am not a fan of big government acting as big brother but these laws are in place to keep you from blowing up your pride and joy.

Ignition protection is very important in the engine space. Bilge pumps, blowers, battery chargers, marine alternators, marine starters, marine inverters, marine generators are all ignition protected. This means that the components within them that could spark are sealed off from open air. This is part of the reason why marine components are more expensive than their automotive counterparts. The marine engine compartment will hold the accumulation of gas vapors where an automobile will not.

As far as I am concerned, you are playing Russian roulette every time you use your boat by not using ignition protected components or installing items in the bilge that will create a spark.

I don't want to sound like a dik myself here. Just trying to put the facts out there for you to make your own judgment. Please don't just take my word for it, look it up for yourself.
Adam