Scarab wouldn't start today

Notices

Scarab wouldn't start today

Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarab wouldn't start today

Its a 1997 Scarab with 350MPI's
My starboard motor wouldn't fire today. It cranked and cranked but no fire. I want to try replacing the lanyard kill switch and ignition switch first....or other ideas people can suggest?

I did not check to see if it was getting fuel but I did smell fuel from cranking it.
The port motor fired right up.

One thing Im not sure if this is normal but I noticed the kill switch is touchy. I turn the key and the alarm goes off as normal but after I crank it i notice the oil pressure come up as it should but then the voltage goes to zero when i stop cranking it and the alarm is gone.
I have to turn the key back off then back on again to get the alarm and voltage to show.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Possible its the key switch. Had one do something similar before. You can verify it with a multi-meter prior to replacing it, same with the kill switch.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

maybe check and see if it has spark when you are cranking it,i had a similar problem,it was the safety lanyard switch,one thing i am sure of,anything electrical is prone to failure.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Registered

You can bypass the kill switch and key ignition by applying a 12v jumper to the coil positive side (purple wire). If it fires you know it is either the key or lanyard at that point and can narrow it down from there. If it still won't fire, check for spark. If no spark you prob have a bad coil. if it fires with the jumper, you have to pull the jumper to kill the engine, btw....
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

I looked at Eddie Marine and those aren't the same kill switches I have. Mine have little red buttons on them that are held in by clips. When the clip is removed the buttom pops out and kills the motor.
I've been looking around online and I cant find the same ones yet.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The alarm goes off because there is no oil pressure. When you crank it over, it creates enough oil pressure and the alarm quits sounding. That is normal.

You need fuel and spark for the engine to fire. Pull a plug wire and see if you are getting spark before you start replacing parts that are fine.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

Im gonna replace the kill switch anyway. They were cheap. Plus the thing was really touchy anyway.
I am suspect of it because last time I went out i was heading out the channel and the starboard motor shut off on me. It restarted but I think i messed with the kill switch to get it running again.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Registered

Wasn't the kill switch. I pulled the spark arrestor and carb didn't look wet. But It was hard to tell. I was there by myself so I couldn't see if fuel was flowing while trying to start it. Im gonna have the mechanics come out this week. Will post what it was when they find it.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Disconnect the throttle cable at the carb and pump the carb. It should squirt fuel.
Take off the fuel water sep filter and see if there is fuel in it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered

@ airshares,
For future reference you should have a solenoid on back of the motor somewhere around the top of the bellhousing, (should have the big red wire going to the starter and the yellow-red starter wire to it) with a remote starter switch attached to it you can spin the motor, (a screwdriver across the terminals to short it out will do the same thing but not recommended because of sparks and damage to the terminal ends) over by yourself making it a lot easier to work on your motors by yourself.

Cliff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.