Replace water pump with crossover >

Replace water pump with crossover

Notices

Replace water pump with crossover

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replace water pump with crossover

In converting my 255 Formula to Bravo I am engineering the set up/location of the raw water pump. Since I will have the raw water pump set up is there any real need for the original circulating pump on the engines? Seems redundant to me to have both. I see some rigs with it ...and some with a crossover that eliminates the pump. What is the determining factor in doing away with the circulating pump?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW...I know I'm not the only one to think of this....anybody?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been discussed 100's of times, that many just don't respond anymore. A search will keep you busy for the rest of the yr.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

On a basically stock engine, I'd use a circ pump. It will maintain more consistent temps. A crossover can create all kinds of issues with water pressure and oil temps.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We run circulating pumps when ever we can to eliminate hot spots in the engine.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the crossovers and No issues what so ever plus the it cleans up the engine area....
Old 01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprink58
In converting my 255 Formula to Bravo I am engineering the set up/location of the raw water pump. Since I will have the raw water pump set up is there any real need for the original circulating pump on the engines? Seems redundant to me to have both. I see some rigs with it ...and some with a crossover that eliminates the pump. What is the determining factor in doing away with the circulating pump?
The absolute determining factor is the need to run closed loop cooling.

I prefer the cleaner more functional crossover, and also gain a few (up to 15 HP) on the recirc pump.

I see no need to carry around a secondary but not actually redundant water pump in a fresh water application.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Replace water pump with crossover-406-recirc-pump.jpg   Replace water pump with crossover-406-new-crossover-lines.jpg  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

We have found that the rear of the engine while running without a circulating pump is 50+ degrees hotter than the front. Take a temp gun out next time you run and check. If we run without the pump we run hoses from the rear of the intake to the front to help with the problem.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
We have found that the rear of the engine while running without a circulating pump is 50+ degrees hotter than the front. Take a temp gun out next time you run and check. If we run without the pump we run hoses from the rear of the intake to the front to help with the problem.
+1
I removed my circulating pumps and went with crossovers. At the same time I changed to Merlin steel heads. I never got more than 3 minutes after getting on plane and I would seize #8 exhaust valve right into the piston. This happened 3 times before I figured it out. Good thing I used Ferrea inconel valves I never took out a piston. I was not getting flow to the back of my engine. On the hose I use to see 240F+ on the back side of cylinder #8 and 160-170F on all other corners. I drilled extra holes in the heads to promote flow. The only thing that fixed it was drilling out the back water ports on the intake manifold and dumping into my exhaust. I had constant flow through the back of my engine.

I have my problems corrected and has been great for a few years now. I am not saying not to put a crossover on but know there is some issues that might occur.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

I always had a hard time getting the motor, on my old boat, to catch prime I would have to rev the p*ss out of it to get it primed. Not good for a cold motor. Once it was primed it was good for the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.