Notices

bottom paint

Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bottom paint

ok since its supose to be nice on wensday i plan on pullin the boat outside and preping the old bottom paint for a new coat
its a trailer boat now some time ago someone bottom painted and slipped it Its has gotten to look like crap id perfer real paint but a new coat of bottom paint would suit me just fine.. as i plan to maybe do a few weekend trips 2-3 days straight in the water so i dont see it hurting.. you can see the flat black looking old paint with white showing threw thats where is flaking off and wore though

Plan of attack is a electric palm sander and 60-80 grit sand paper i hit a small spot earlier and it comes off pretty easy
any one else have any recomendations ??? hints tips i beleive this ablative paint on it now as it rubs off on your hand also beleive its only one coat of black maybe a white primer.. what should i go back with .. and should i sand all the black bottom paint off or just smooth the worn spots out and scuff the rest up for a re apply

havent bought any paint yet id like a gloss black to match the real paint on top any such thing any certain brands or ???

Last edited by jason y; 02-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also would like to know. Hey how do you plan on supporting the boat and removing the trailer so that its safe to get under to sand and paint?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it soda blasted and get all theold paint off. Buff the bottom and it will be close to good-as-new. Unless your keeping it in the water, get it stripped. You can get it done on aboat that size for around $700. 2 gallons of good ablative paint are $230 each. It works out in the end.....
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

ive took them off in the past and blocked them but im just gonna leave it on trailer and lower the bunks one at a time..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Redhook98
Have it soda blasted and get all theold paint off. Buff the bottom and it will be close to good-as-new. Unless your keeping it in the water, get it stripped. You can get it done on aboat that size for around $700. 2 gallons of good ablative paint are $230 each. It works out in the end.....

its not originally black underneath the black bottom paint... itll have to be repainted with something.. dont have the dough on for the blast reason im doing it myself
Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

if you can rub it off with your hand i would get a box of razor blades and a razor scraper,scrap off all the loose stuff and try to keep the razor blade as flat as the hull so you dont gouge it..then with your palm sander use 220 0r 240 grit,80 is kinda harsh..
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason y
its not originally black underneath the black bottom paint... itll have to be repainted with something.. dont have the dough on for the blast reason im doing it myself
Gotcha. Another option is to sand it down as far as you can before damaging the fiberglass. Barrier coat it and use a hard anti-fouling paint. They come out nice and shiny, and will help with growth. be prepared though. If your going to sand with a hand sander, make sure you wear goggle, mask and coveralls. It is HARD to get that paint off your skin. I was sneezing bottom paint for days afterwards.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
I was sneezing bottom paint for days afterwards.
and that damn zinc/copper taste that goes with it.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
and that damn zinc/copper taste that goes with it.
1+ on that! Back in the day I worked for a local shop doing fiberglass work and bottom repaints. I had a full face respirator, full Tyvek suit, gloves, etc and I taped all the seams and I would still have that taste in mouth. And that was with new filters and Tyvek suit everyday.

Its nasty work but you will save money doing it yourself, I recommend getting all the proper gear before starting. I could not even imagine doing it without all the proper gear.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

lol yea ive tried a few tests spot sneezed for a hour..lol

i dont know what the origanil color gelcoat was as seems like there is a white primer under the black the black is thicker than the rest it doesnt seem like very thick layers

i have a electric palm sander and of course masks etc.. using 60-80 grit knocks the black off/smooths the bad spots out fairly fast.. im not knocking it down to original gel just smoothing in the black /white and knocking down the rest of the black some then gonna repaint it.. hopefully with something glossy that i can roll on not super worried about the bottom as long as its coated dont see much of it anyways just hate the way the old looks on the trailer makes the boat loook like crap.lol

im gonna try and do it tomorrow and thursday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.