Notices

transom repair

Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transom repair

so got the outdrives off the boat started 2 days ago
broke a bolt on one of the trasom assemblies and found a stud corroded into on the other.. one with the stud broke came off alot easier then the other.. being this boat was out of the miami factory im sure its seen its fair share of salt..
anyways here what i found

solid on one cut out

this was corroded stud cutout
found some rot around 2 of the holes dug it out till i hit hard dry wood goes in about 2 inchs and about 2 inchs tall.. the rest of the transom is solid not justifiable to replace the whole thing just yet palnnin for it down the road aways anyways im thinkin fill these 2 holes with fiberglass or something whats yout guys thoughts..

Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tip of the iceberg. That's rotted out pretty high up
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

try shoving a ice pick in their,if it goes in like your poking styrofoam then it will need to be replaced..if its all goo then try this stuff called git rot,mack off the hole.leave a little hole at the top, mix some up and poar it in and let it cure..get hard as nails..you mat have to add some wood fibers tho because this stuff will bond to the wood..

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...=git_rot_epoxy
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it right & safe. Replace the transom. If you don't you will always know the weak link - As the saying goes pay me now or pay me later
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would get the insides of the bad area straight and cut a piece of wood, not pine, and sand-file-plane-cut it till it is a very snug fit in there. get it as close to the size of the hole as possible, leaving an inch or so hanging out so you can get a grip on the plug to remove it while fitting it. then get a bunch of epoxy in there and tap the plugs in with a hammer. you can cut the hole back to size after it is hardened. or you could replace the transom.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test hole

I would drill some 1/4" test holes around the transom to see if it has crept outward. You're going to be glassing anyway so filling in the test holes is trivial. Randy
Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

yes what was in the holes i had to dig out with a screw driver was mulched was actually some what dry also.. and i dug it out til the wood got hard ive jabbed it in there and all over ...

im not sayin the transom is dry all over i do not have any other problems that have i have seen so far i done plan on redoing the coring next winter or 2 with out a doubt.. with what little damage i feel comfortable about fixing the issue and using it atleast this summer just have to figure out how..
with the year of the boat im amazed at how good it is.. i checked what i could get to before i got it..
i had a 90,s model wellcraft that was all wet and mulch so i know how it can be

Last edited by jason y; 02-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the transom assy bolts right there, obviously. the method i suggest puts a solid piece in between to clamp down on. a buncha resin could deform under the clamping force. what is that, old Nova?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered

formula 255 lib
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason...did you see any evidence that the TA's had ever been removed?...was there any kind of a seal between the gimbal and the transom?

I took mine out last year and noticed that there was a rubber seal that must have been there since it was new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.