'Nuther fuel pump question >

'Nuther fuel pump question

Notices

'Nuther fuel pump question

Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Nuther fuel pump question

I trailer my boat, and fill it at the gas station.. Apparently, those sneaky devils have been adding a bit of methanol when I wasn't looking, and I think it caused my stock fuel pump to disintegrate.. I need a replacement now.. Any suggestions? I bought a Holley mech from Summit, then noticed it was not alcohol tolerant. Dang.. Maybe electric? Holley Reds don't have a very good reputation here. Running a stock '89 454 330 hp, Q Jet, switchable thru hull.. Ice is off the bay, time to git 'er done! Thanks! Den
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Den P
I trailer my boat, and fill it at the gas station.. Apparently, those sneaky devils have been adding a bit of methanol when I wasn't looking, and I think it caused my stock fuel pump to disintegrate.. I need a replacement now.. Any suggestions? I bought a Holley mech from Summit, then noticed it was not alcohol tolerant. Dang.. Maybe electric? Holley Reds don't have a very good reputation here. Running a stock '89 454 330 hp, Q Jet, switchable thru hull.. Ice is off the bay, time to git 'er done! Thanks! Den
The Holley mech pump will be fine. Why do you care about alcohol tolerable? Your running gas correct? Your motor does not have huge fuel requirements so the smaller pump is fine.
And I believe it's ethanol in the gas. If they are puttin in methanol then buy all you can (: your fuel pump probably just gave up the ghost.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Ethanol, methanol ha ha! Whatever they're putting in there ha ha! Doesn't this stuff have the same corrosive properties as alcohol?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Ok.. Verified through Summit that this pump should be good up to a 10% mixed of ETHANOL ha ha.. Anyone using a treatment in addition to the pump gas? Thanks.. Den
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

if you run an electric pump be sure to check and see if it is capable of running in a "dead head" application. ie: no return line. the most electric pumps have gotten a bad rap mostly from people not installing them correctly- bad grounds, insufficieant voltage, bad plumbing....etc...... holley, and most other electric pumps do have an internal bypass relief, but if used exclusively, this causes the fuel to be super heated and in turn ruins the pump after extended periods of operation. and most people think "well ill just put a regulator on it" and that does nothing to help the problem. you have to use a bypas or return style regulator with a return to the tank if you want just about any electric pump to last for any amount of time.

if your electric pump or the wires going to it are getting hot......something isnt right.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Den P
Ok.. Verified through Summit that this pump should be good up to a 10% mixed of ETHANOL ha ha.. Anyone using a treatment in addition to the pump gas? Thanks.. Den
Unless you only put 15 gallons of gas in your tank the additives get pretty pricey and no real firm evidence they change anything. Ethanol doesn't hurt your motor. People blame it for plastic gas tanks and older fuel lines.