TB V ignition module check >

TB V ignition module check

Notices

TB V ignition module check

Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB V ignition module check

Iv got a carb'd 95 454 MAG that lost spark last fall. I did some tests with a test light one weekend and came to the conclusion that my ignition module was bad. Is there a way to have the module?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

Have the module what? Rebuilt? No. Diagnosed? The only way to check it I've heard of is in the boat using the troubleshooting diagram.

Last edited by apollard; 03-30-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

A bad ground will cause a no spark condition and will replicate the module being being bad when you go through the Merc Flow chart. The ground wire and module case must be grounded.
The other possibility is corrosion on the connections at the module or distributor plugs.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Registered

my bad.. yes, is there a way to have the module checked.. is what I meant to ask. I did print a Merc flow chart last fall when I last looked at it and came to the conlusion the module was bad. I didnt check grounds though. If i remember right, Im thinking I had the distibuter cap off to check it and the rotor before I lost spark. Everything looked good, took the boat to the water and no spark. I really hate that I cant remember the details. I remember finding it hard to beleive that it was a coincidence I lost spark after I messed with the distributer but couldnt find anything I screwed up in the process. The gasket for the cap broke when I pulled the cap so I smeared a small amount of black RTV on the bottom of the cap and gasket when I re-installed it. I know this isn't recomended, but that would not cause an immediate loss of spark would it?? Thanks for the feedback!