Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Couple questions #1 Tankless Hot water heaters #2 riser gaskets 502 efi/mpi >

Couple questions #1 Tankless Hot water heaters #2 riser gaskets 502 efi/mpi

Notices

Couple questions #1 Tankless Hot water heaters #2 riser gaskets 502 efi/mpi

Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions #1 Tankless Hot water heaters #2 riser gaskets 502 efi/mpi

1997 Powerquest Vyper. I bought the boat from a guy that was reasonable at maintenance but sucked at details. For example, he installed a hot water system, that used a 10 gallon tank mounted in the bilge. An actual tank, round tank! So I decided it would be safer and reduce weight to try a tankless instant system, 110volt. Anybody else try this or has experience?
Also, unrelated, the surveyor found that after running WOT for 10 minutes, I had some minor "weepage" from the riser gaskets. He recommended replacement of these gaskets. I hear this can be a pain to do but I also want to make sure it's necessary. Any inputs????
Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any idea how much amps a tankless water heater uses? More then your shore power cables.... The 110 volt tankless water heaters are junk and make luke-warm water.

The tank like you have installed are tried and true units and very dependable. Don't take an excessive amount of voltage to heat water, and also usually have heat exchangers in them connected to your engine in order to get hot water on the go. Most are the 6-gallon variety, but some are the larger 10-gallon like you have. There are marine versions of the round tank style like it appears you have.

When I was in the "cruiser" world for the past ten years, this was standard. If your looking to save weight and go with a tankless heater, then you better be prepared to beef up your shore power substantially. There is a reason they are not often installed on boats. Even big ones.

Oh and if your gaskets are weepingm, even a little, you better replace. Just good comman sense there. You can also examine your risers at the same time. there is usually a reason for them weeping. You may be looking at new risers soon.