Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast! >

350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!

Notices

350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!

Planning a build on my 350/300hp
Looking for the Most HP out of it N/A
With that said should i just buy a Dart block and go nuts N/A or will my 350 be ok to stroke up to 434 or is 383 a better idea?

Or should i run the boat for a season,wait till next summer and go low compression and buy the dart block and go 671 or 871 blower and have KING KONG POWER.
I'm looking for 600 plus hp. and I wont stop untill i get it!!!!
Any input would be great
Help me out guys!
I'm in it for the long haul.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Isn't a 22 big block territory....
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get to 400 HP NA pretty quick this way:

L31 Vortec 4:bolt block .030 over.
Forged Flat top pistons
Chevy "Pink" LT-1 rods
Forged Crank
Comp Xtreem Marine XM264 or 272 Roller Cam & Lifters
Vortec Heads/Stainless Valves/3: Angle Valve Job/Port Matched to Intake Net CR 9.5:1
Comp 1.5 Needle Bearing Rollers/Hi Po Springs and Retainers
Hardened Manly Push Rods
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump
Edelbrock Performer/Volvo Penta Brass Lined Aluminum Intake
Davis Unified Ignition HEI Distributor ...32 deg total at 3200
Holley 4150 750 CFM Double Pumper

Hook this to a set of High End stainless headers.

If you want to settle for about 350 temporarily, use forged dished pistons and knock the CR down to around 8~8.5 and ad a blower later.

If instant gratification is your thing you can go LSA and get 550 real quick.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/Librarie...rine.sflb.ashx

Last edited by sprink58; 04-07-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meara_Image
Planning a build on my 350/300hp
Looking for the Most HP out of it N/A
With that said should i just buy a Dart block and go nuts N/A or will my 350 be ok to stroke up to 434 or is 383 a better idea?

Or should i run the boat for a season,wait till next summer and go low compression and buy the dart block and go 671 or 871 blower and have KING KONG POWER.
I'm looking for 600 plus hp. and I wont stop untill i get it!!!!
Any input would be great
Help me out guys!
I'm in it for the long haul.
As one of the few guys on this or any site with a 500+HP small block- if you are in it for the long haul go get a big block.

IF you are shooting for 600 in a a marine small block will be very expensive to get you there vs a big block and you just wont save any money.

If this wer for a car - not so, but its not , its for a boat and you'll need expensive good parts you wont find used like the guy above says you need a real exhaust system. Easy to find used on a BBC. Not available used for a SBC - they are like hens teeth.

Id be building an engine on a stand while you enjoy your boat.

If you want to build up your 350 stick with heads and a top end kit for now.
Sure if you go into the block you can stroke it, but then if you are doing that why start with a 350? Youll need to splay cap it and it wont stroke big enough to get any real cubes. Get a 400 dart block or brodix as you say- at min and go up from there.

Heres more free advice - do it NA skip all the air pushing nonsense. Unless you got big money to spend chasing down air fuel ratios and building outdrives. If you are going to build a blower engine you need to go gut the whole thing and start from the block and crank up and spend real big money.

Have you thought about how you are going to steer your boat with all this newly acquired power? Better save even more for an external steering kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbNkf2FPk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1jGIuv7JxI

Scroll around a bit on these-check out the near bird strike at 2:55 on the forward facing video.

Whats your budget?

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails 350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!-406-new-dist-coil.jpg   350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!-406-new-crossover-lines.jpg   350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!-dsc06756.jpg  

350 Mercruiser- 22' Gofast looking for HP so I can go Fast!-dsc06300.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 04-07-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Here is a small block injected motor AZ tune eddie marine exhaust 30 4 blade bravo1 5700 rpm in our 202 stinger 79 gps small blocks are great!!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soG79eObsIo JOHN SR
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Here is a small block injected motor AZ tune eddie marine exhaust 30 4 blade bravo1 5700 rpm in our 202 stinger 79 gps small blocks are great!!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soG79eObsIo JOHN SR
Hello!!!...that'll blow the cob webs out of your head!!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered

Great reply guys!!!
i wanted to stick with my base 350 and build it up, but from ever person i talk to they tell me run the boat for the summer have fun with it and mean while build a big block N/a.
Flip side of the coin is i have seen 427 or 434 N/a lil M dart blocks with all the goodies.. make huge RPM's with 600+ hp and close to matching Tq.
my budget all said and done is about ten thousand.
steering will be updated to external no questions asked and will mate it to a cyborg tran.
Bottom line! i was tryn to get a little crazy with a SBC but N/A BBC wins everytime.
Thanks for the input guys..great videos and that seagull got his 1.5 sec of fame...holy smoke was that close!
I guess i'm going BIG CUBES!!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meara_Image
Great reply guys!!!
i wanted to stick with my base 350 and build it up, but from ever person i talk to they tell me run the boat for the summer have fun with it and mean while build a big block N/a.
Flip side of the coin is i have seen 427 or 434 N/a lil M dart blocks with all the goodies.. make huge RPM's with 600+ hp and close to matching Tq.
my budget all said and done is about ten thousand.
steering will be updated to external no questions asked and will mate it to a cyborg tran.
Bottom line! i was tryn to get a little crazy with a SBC but N/A BBC wins everytime.
Thanks for the input guys..great videos and that seagull got his 1.5 sec of fame...holy smoke was that close!
I guess i'm going BIG CUBES!!!!
Cyborg tran on a bravo? Never seen that.

10K dont think so though not for everything you need to get want you are looking for. You need to get into some used parts AND come up with a bit more scratch.

Anyway lets add it up-real rough maybe you have some of this already maybe not-

Decent BBC manifold exhaust system & tails 3000.00
a low end on hydraulic single ram steering kit 1500.00
Real oil cooler - 500.00

Accessories?

Single belt Na Kit with power steering sea pump et. 2000.00

Leaves about 3000 K for your mill.

For a 600HP big block that will idle well to prevent reversion, and be able to run hard for long periods of time.

At least with a BBC you can find this stuff used you never can with a good small block.

UD
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

I have 2x 427ci small blocks in World Products Mo Town blocks. Small blocks are great, but as everyone has said big blocks is cheaper to attain the power.

They just dyno'd after a refresh at 543HP on friday. So some good reliable power is available in small blocks, but I have serious money invested, 10k won't even build a long block + carb/ignition etc, let alone the exhaust and other items now needed.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Registered

I run a Trs drive, no bravo here.
$10,000 is for the motor set up alone...so with that said if i go BB then i see no poblem with the Hp i'm trying to reach.
Bucks can fly when your building a motor so i like the input on other cost involved..good reminder!
IF you where me would you get a Gm BB used and do a lil stroke and bore/heads/intake/cam/exh/Etc. or is it smarter to buy a Dart block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.