Notices

remote oil filter

Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote oil filter

Currently putting 496 manifolds on my 454 and lookin to scrap the stock remote oil filter bracket and go with a remote mount onto the firewall. Such as the one sold by Joes Racing Products. Just not sure what kind of lines I need to run to this mount. Or where to buy them. Can I buy the parts and cut them to length and install the fittings myself. Any concerns with using an automotive remote mount. I am not even sure if my stock lines are 1/2" npt like the ones on the remote mount I am looking at. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you can use a automotive filter head and remotly mount it,use -10 line or bigger,i always use -12.you can use braided stainless hose,or pushlock,i keep away from the cheeper rubber hose.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

-12 & pushlock hose and fittings
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push-Lock is technically OK, as most carry a 250 or 300 psi rating. However, given what is at stake, I don't think this is a good place to get cheap and easy. Oil pressure can easily be 80-100 psi on a cold startup.

If you look at what comes with something like an Amsoil remote filter kit, they are hydraulic-JIC quality reusible fittings. At least use screw-on fittings like XRP or Aeroquip, I say. Save the push-lock stuff for things that you don't worry about about coming apart and toasting an engine or burning your boat down... Push-lock can come apart or cut itself from inside out due to vibration or poor hose support.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys does anyone know the size of fittings that will mate up properly to the oil cooler and oil filter adapter on a gen 5 454 magnum. I have heard the oil cooler is a double flare but not sure on the thread size. Has anyone out there done this to there gen 5 454 mag.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
Push-Lock is technically OK, as most carry a 250 or 300 psi rating. However, given what is at stake, I don't think this is a good place to get cheap and easy. Oil pressure can easily be 80-100 psi on a cold startup.

If you look at what comes with something like an Amsoil remote filter kit, they are hydraulic-JIC quality reusible fittings. At least use screw-on fittings like XRP or Aeroquip, I say. Save the push-lock stuff for things that you don't worry about about coming apart and toasting an engine or burning your boat down... Push-lock can come apart or cut itself from inside out due to vibration or poor hose support.
both of my boats have-12 pushlock hose,how is 250lb rating not good for 100 lbs max?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

i have seen braided stainless hose come off a fitting,you will never see a pushlock hose come off the fitting,the fitting will break before the hose comes off,as far as the hose getting cut from inside,thats one i have never heard of,there is nothing sharp inside,the fittings are blunt.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

I have looked at the push-lock and the aeroquip and all I have been able to find are female ends. I need a hose end like a brake line.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

The more I look at these hoses the more I think I will need to have the hoses custom made. I can not find any fittings that will seat properly on my oil cooler or filter adapter.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not just put it back where it was?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.