Notices

seafoam?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam?

Hey guys,

Tried doing a search but didn't really come up with much. I have used seafoam in the past to freshen up car motors but haven't been able to see what people think of using in marine applications. Thinking about trying it to freshen up my Merc 502.

Opinions, advice, comments...concerns lol?!?

Thanks,

Seth
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Registered

I use Startron in mine. I was using Stabil, but switched over. I've had no problems with Startron. I added it everytime I get gas.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use it in the outboard boat frequently, Not sure if it helps, but doesnt hurt. Just dumped 2 cans in yesterday for my keys trip nex week.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

I use the AMSOIL Quickshot cause it handles all three issues I'm concerned with, injector cleaning, stabilization and ethanol stabilization.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "freshen up", but I use Seafoam to maintain the fuel system. I don't think it's going to do anything to the actual motor, but it will help keep the fuel rail and injectors clean.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Seafoam also makes an oil additive that works well, however it will make your oil turn black pretty quick. whcih I guess is a good thing. I also like to use the throttle body aresol can.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I use Startron in mine. I was using Stabil, but switched over. I've had no problems with Startron. I added it everytime I get gas.
I use the Startron too...but I also use seafoam at 1 oz/gal everytime I fill up. CRC makes a similar product that's more cost friendlier than seafoam.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

I have a seafoam story. Its a true one. Before I went on a houseboat trip to Lake Powell I read a bunch of great stuff on how wonderful the product is on wayneswords website. There were all kinds of wonderful claims. I was very very skeptical... BUT when I saw it on the shelf at the store it just sorta jumped into my basket. I bought two cans. Well, the houseboat we were on was having problems with the generator. Two of my buds were working and working on it. They worked but could only get it to run for a while and then it would die. I told them lets try this stuff and poured one can in the tanks and a little into the intake line. It smoothed right out and ran perfectly the rest of the trip. Maybe water in the gas? I don't know.. I do know that it is a good item to carry just in case. Search wayneswords for more stories.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

I use a ton of it in our cars and boats. It will free up sticking rings in 2 my strokes. Everything I work on or buy, I warm the motor up and then hose it down (internally) right through the intake until it loads up and dies. Can says wait 2 hrs to re-start but I wait over night.
It smokes like a chimney the next day when you start it. I did a story about it on another O/B site and posted a picture of the black carbon ooze it puked out the exhaust.
Carbon'd up, sticking rings is the leading cause of death to a 2 stroke and that's why I treat everything I buy and then at least twice a yr after the fact.
I do the same to the cars. I'm driving a S-10 Blazer w/a Vortec V-6 with 252K on it and every once in a while it will start dropping a couple of injectors. I get the gas down to a 1/4 tank and dump a can in there (about 300% stronger than they recommend) then pull off the brake booster vacuum hose and w/it at high idle spray a can of their pressurized version in through the intake until it loads up and dies.
Runs like a top the next morning. Works great on the musquito's too

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 05-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Thanks Twin, that was exactly what I have done in my cars and was wondering if it would be good for the boat....soundsd like it's a go.

Thanks,

Seth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.