Notices

Magazine for DIY Boaters?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Magazine for DIY Boaters?

Wonder why no one has ever published a magazine about this side of our sport? With cars we have always had the niche publications like Car Craft and Hot Rod that covered all sorts of projects that were geared toward the budget minded enthusiast.

I would really enjoy reading Multi part articles like "Well Craft 26' Stinger Build Up" or "Build a weekend warrior offshore boat for $25K"..."Selecting the Best Carb, Intake and Heads for Your Small Block Chevy". I know the publishing business is all about selling advertising and it seems to me that this would be very popular and a gold mine for a publisher.

Powerboat and Sportboat are cool to browse through but there is nothing in them that is even remotely relevant to the types of projects that interest me.

I know that Mercury would advertise in a magazine like this...they have an entire re-power division.

I know this is nothing more than a rant at this point but maybe some one will grab this concept and run with it.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do have magazines for diy. they come out 1x a year one is called the west marine catalog, another is defender, lol had to be a smartass, sorry

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

how about Hustler? oh yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with Hustler boats.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... Hustled does help if you "Do It Yourself"
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
how about Hustler? oh yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with Hustler boats.
Originally Posted by Waveform
Well... Hustled does help if you "Do It Yourself"
Sounds like you guys have a lot of experience with this....
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Oso

There is a magazine for this type of DIY, I find that OSO has the best threads out there bar none. I love reading the Formula threads with all that is going between Sprink, Befu and others. Maybe Matt T. can just take these threads and do a rewrite to publish in other online forums. Pratters trailer restore project was a good read, gave ideas about my EOH conversion. I believe there is even a Chevelle restore thread that is also a good read. Some of it is hit and miss, but still informative.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
There is a magazine for this type of DIY, I find that OSO has the best threads out there bar none. I love reading the Formula threads with all that is going between Sprink, Befu and others. Maybe Matt T. can just take these threads and do a rewrite to publish in other online forums. Pratters trailer restore project was a good read, gave ideas about my EOH conversion. I believe there is even a Chevelle restore thread that is also a good read. Some of it is hit and miss, but still informative.
I agree...there is a treasure trove of info on OSO. Maybe some one could do
A "best of" OSO" thread.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to agree. I would love to see articles on like a "38 Cigarette" restoration, or some guy who re-rigs his boat with big power, big drives, replaces a transom, etc. Granted you can view most of this on oso, you still cant beat thumbin thru a paperback while on the crapper like the old days. Powerboat used to do stuff like that once and a while, now it just seems like its all advertisements and what not.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I have to agree. I would love to see articles on like a "38 Cigarette" restoration, or some guy who re-rigs his boat with big power, big drives, replaces a transom, etc. Granted you can view most of this on oso, you still cant beat thumbin thru a paperback while on the crapper like the old days. Powerboat used to do stuff like that once and a while, now it just seems like its all advertisements and what not.
Browsing OSO on an iPad from the crapper works pretty good also! I am actually posting this reply doing exactly that! Sorry, was that TMI!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

502, way too much info man, way too much!

Sprink, let the man with two free hands throw the first stone! Ha ha.

Yeah, I have really enjoyed reading some of the threads that really give details about the how to that no book really addresses. I should have taken more pictures of my project to show digging out the center stringer and re-pouring it, but then again you can see that on you tube of other projects. i was more concentrated on what it took and what it did and how it turned out. (yeah, run on sentence)

For some reason, I am thinking about picking up another project for next winter or the one after that. Something like a 302 or 311, maybe a scarab 31! I still have some big projects to do on the front half of mine yet, haven't even broached that subject on the thread yet! Gonna be interesting.

Still looking for a cheap set of deer whistles for the bow of the Formula - you know, just to make people look at you weird at the launch. Yeah, they work, never hit a deer yet while boating!

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.