Upholstery questions new backing and vinyl >

Upholstery questions new backing and vinyl

Notices

Upholstery questions new backing and vinyl

Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upholstery questions new backing and vinyl

Wondering if there is anything better to replace wood with or if not what kind of wood for interior backing and seats. Also where to buy it

what kind of vinyl do you use and whats the best place to buy that
Old 06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the factorys use exterior plywood and don't even paint it. it holds up 15 years if you keep water out of seat cushions. i use the same. with a coat of polyester resin on it, the wood will last a long time. i use Katz foam in philadelphia for vinyl and foam. of course my only customer for interior work is me. at least until i get good enough...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek, I assume that you are venturing into doing upolstry? Would you care to take a look at mine and maybe want to take a shot at re-doing it? I also have an industrial sewing machine thats just taking up space in my garage that you might be interested in? just like learning how to do tatoos, sooner or later somebody has to let you do some work on them and give you a shot. maybe we can work something out?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Derek, I assume that you are venturing into doing upolstry? Would you care to take a look at mine and maybe want to take a shot at re-doing it? I also have an industrial sewing machine thats just taking up space in my garage that you might be interested in? just like learning how to do tatoos, sooner or later somebody has to let you do some work on them and give you a shot. maybe we can work something out?
thinking about it. pm sent. avatar almost looks like hargroves marina.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
your sewing machine has to have a walking foot or the stitching will look like crap..just a heads up!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

you dont have to use a walking foot although easier. I didnt and mine will hold up next to any work in my area. You just have to be careful and to keep the two materials from moving. The walking foor ensures that the two thick materials feed together without it you have to.

I use veada.com for my vinyl and have had good success. I buy foam local and would my vinyl also if it was even close. Foam backed vinyl is nice it hide a lot. Take your time, be patient and all is good.

It takes experience to be great for sure so keep that in mind with the end result you want.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by pluguglyinhere
you dont have to use a walking foot although easier. I didnt and mine will hold up next to any work in my area. You just have to be careful and to keep the two materials from moving. The walking foor ensures that the two thick materials feed together without it you have to.

I use veada.com for my vinyl and have had good success. I buy foam local and would my vinyl also if it was even close. Foam backed vinyl is nice it hide a lot. Take your time, be patient and all is good.

It takes experience to be great for sure so keep that in mind with the end result you want.
i have both and ill take the walking foot any day..
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

i have a smallish walking foot machine. chinese equiv of the sailrite-consew 206. it sews better than i do-so far...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered

A walking foot machine is definetely the way to go if you have the means to use one. I was not going to pay for one for one job and just saying you can do it without.