Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
need advice on what to do for the rest of the season with my motor. >

need advice on what to do for the rest of the season with my motor.

Notices

need advice on what to do for the rest of the season with my motor.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Ufoman420
No oil pressure loss still 60 at idle. Thanks for the info dereknkathy!!! I am probably going to go brand new heads complete and shipped right to my door before this weekend.
Well folks I just removed the heads!!!!
The cylinder walls look great!!! I am going to probably go with the oval port heads because the exhaust manifolds are oval. So What New Aftermarkets should i buy and the other thing im wondering about is the rockers are the torq down NOT adjustable. Can i reuse those rockers and torq them suckers down. OH yeah im going to be buying a intake and carb as well air gap and holley
go with the edelbrock big oval port with the 110 cc chambers..will add a little compression but will also give you more low end grunt to get on plane..make sure they have inconel exhaust valves..and also make sure you order for a gen 5/6 block..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/61459/10002/-1

valve springs are extra! thease will only work with flat top pistons,if you have any slight dome they will hit the heads..

Last edited by FIXX; 06-24-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy oval port heads.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by akaboatman
I wouldn't buy oval port heads.
Why ?????????????????? he is not building a 1500 hp blower engine..known fact,big oval port heads produce more torque then a standard rectangle port head..most boats run less that 5000 rpms////
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

If your are going to say not to buy something i would like facts to go along with it and a suggestion that i should do. I dont need negative feedback and a NO answer. I would like a reliable but powerful motor. Im looking to cruise at 50-55 when im FULLY Done with the motor this winter. Right now i want it to run good like it did in its prime, and then be ready for the repower this winter.

MrFixxall thank you for your suggestion. I will look into those.Those might be a good fit because the stroker kit i want to buy has flat top pistions and with 112cc heads it will put me at 9.5:1 or somewhere in the ball park.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

If it were me, I would do a quicky valve job on it, and stick it back together for the season. It would take no time at all, and cost little.

If you change the heads, then you will be changing the valve train, pushrods, valve springs, and then you find out the came grind isn't any good for the valve train. Then you might as well put a roller cam in. Then you find out there isn't enough valve clearance to the piston. Then the exhaust comes up short. Then the carburetor needs changing and intake manifold needs changing. Next thing you know, you might as well change the entire engine.

Michael
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

I understand where your coming from michael1. So just putting a good set of heads on wont get me through my next 4 or 5 boating trips with full stock power if i leave the stock cam and rockers? It is the gen6 motor which has a roller cam and lifter already. I know I might need to change pushrods but thats ok and the heads come with springs on them. I can reuse the stock rockers because even changing those out will not give me any noticeable power. I will defiantly need to change a cam to run a new set of heads even if stock power is ok for now?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by Ufoman420
I understand where your coming from michael1. So just putting a good set of heads on wont get me through my next 4 or 5 boating trips with full stock power if i leave the stock cam and rockers? It is the gen6 motor which has a roller cam and lifter already. I know I might need to change pushrods but thats ok and the heads come with springs on them. I can reuse the stock rockers because even changing those out will not give me any noticeable power. I will defiantly need to change a cam to run a new set of heads even if stock power is ok for now?
your cam will work fine for now with the alunimum heads.youwill have more power tho,,i would say at leaste 40 hp gain by just bolting on the edelbrock's..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Thank you folks for all your advice. I just decided to buy a 509 500hp+ motor. It was a deal i could not refuse and that will save me time and money in the long run. Thanks again.