Notices

bravo 1 low water pickup

Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo 1 low water pickup

I have a 99 baja h2x with a 454 mag and bravo 1 with low water pickup. The problem i'm having is the lake where we do most of our boating has some shallow spots and we are constantly sucking up mud and sand causing the engine to overheat. I always shut it down when it gets to around 180 because it never runs that hot.. I have had the boat for 5 years and no matter how hard I run it the temp never goes far above 160. Its a beotch to keep back flushing my cooling system. Is there a thru hull water pickup someone could recommend that would work as good or better than the one in the drive and be easy to install. We love the lake where we boat and the people too! Many thanks.. Winkman
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried a sea strainer?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you are pulling sand & fine mud a sea strainer would let you see the stuff but would blow right through the screen & pile up on the bottom of the strainer, It would probably shoot those piles through the seapump gouging out the housing causing more problems.You might check the fitting at the transom assy to be sure it isnt corroded with junk. I had a 99 H2X same setup on the missouri & pushed anything the river offered through the cooling system except logs (lol) & never had any problems with overheating. Have heard a lot about that fitting being a choke point in the cooling system though. Just a thought hope you get it figured out. Randy
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Thank you so much.. I will try cleaning that out tomorrow.. I'm sure i'll have to stand on my head to get to it!!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

With that boat you should be able to get to it fairly easy if you dont have captains call exhaust
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Registered

I always thought the drive needed the water flowing through it to keep it cool too? If you switch to a thru hull water pickup, I would suggest a drive shower if you're going to block the Low water pickup on the Bravo.