Holding tank vent smell vacuflush >

Holding tank vent smell vacuflush

Notices

Holding tank vent smell vacuflush

Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regular household TP is fine to use, otherwise you couldn't use it in septic systems. Everyone in our group use standard TP with no problems and see no signs of the paper when pumping out. At least that's been my experience. The 'Marine' TP just breaks down a little faster.

Your neighbors will appreciate you getting the odor under control. The filter is easy to install and works. They are meant to last for 1 season. I just replaced mine last weekend, after 3 yr. Never had any odors, just noticed my vent wasn't venting as much air when pumping out, so I assumed it was getting cat the end of it's life. Instead of buying the replacement filter, I made a serviceable filter that could have the charcoal replaced. $20 in supplies with enough extra charcoal to last 5 yrs, vs the $80 filter. I made it bigger for a larger amount of air capacity to help reduce the venting restriction.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 07-09-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

On the carver I run we have had every problem with the vacuflush system you could ever imagine. Last summer I was on first name basis with the marina owner that specializes in vacuflush systems. We had the same problem you had, and this is what I have found. First when you pump out, have them fill the tanks with water then pump the water out. Then before use after the pump out, I put in a lot of the west marine tank treatment stuff. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50657 Then I also only use the marine toilet paper. But the house hold stuff can be fine, easy way to check is to take a piece put it in a water bottle half full give it a shake. if it does not break down almost immediately, I would not use it. I know paying $7 for the west marine TP is crazy, but I have been up to my elbows in other people $hit too many times to cheap out over $7. The last thing I noticed helped was when you know you are not going to use the boat for a few days, push the pedal down for 10 seconds and it makes sure everything is out of the lines. That is what I have found works best for us.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Mine got AWFUL for a few years - then I began to put a disinfectant and deodarizer in to it and it slowly went away. I am always careful now about deodarizing and lot leaving it full of piss...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Over time your hoses, and possibly even your tank will get permenated with the odor. The only way to get it out is to replace them. A thorough flush will prolong the hose life.

You can check the hose by wiping the outside of them with a damp rag. Then if the rag stinks, time for new hoses. Same goes for the tank. Kinda a crude way to check, but it works.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys im going to try to flush it fill it and leave water in it meathod first
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flush tank with fresh water 3-4 times every time i pump out, and I pump out every time we use the toilet/outing. i mean if i leave boat in water for 3-4 day weekend, i pump out before going on trailer. If i take it out for one day and it was used, I do the same. pump it out before trailing

I also use the, deoderizer/chimical from walmart, but not just the deoderizor.... in the camoping section they make one that has the natrual enzimes that help break it all down too.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Over time your hoses, and possibly even your tank will get permenated with the odor. The only way to get it out is to replace them. A thorough flush will prolong the hose life.

You can check the hose by wiping the outside of them with a damp rag. Then if the rag stinks, time for new hoses. Same goes for the tank. Kinda a crude way to check, but it works.
+1

I just came from the world of big boats and have a lot of vacuflush experience. The smell will permeate the hoses. Sometimes quicker then you think. My last system was a SAN-X/TDX head. The chemicals you use for that are formaldehyde based. After 4 years and never having a filter on-board, I never had a small. Here is a link. You can get it cheaper in other areas and online. This is only for systems that will be pumped out. Not for dumping in the river/bay/lake. It is REALLY caustic stuff. Don't get any on you! Ask me how I know that...

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/produc...treatment.html

It makes the non-formaldehyde based stuff look (and work) like Windex in comparison.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Regular household TP is fine to use, otherwise you couldn't use it in septic systems. Everyone in our group use standard TP with no problems and see no signs of the paper when pumping out. At least that's been my experience. The 'Marine' TP just breaks down a little faster.

Your neighbors will appreciate you getting the odor under control. The filter is easy to install and works. They are meant to last for 1 season. I just replaced mine last weekend, after 3 yr. Never had any odors, just noticed my vent wasn't venting as much air when pumping out, so I assumed it was getting cat the end of it's life. Instead of buying the replacement filter, I made a serviceable filter that could have the charcoal replaced. $20 in supplies with enough extra charcoal to last 5 yrs, vs the $80 filter. I made it bigger for a larger amount of air capacity to help reduce the venting restriction.
Problem with regular household tp is that in septic tank you for one have a much larger holding tank and second are getting much more liquid passing through and more frequently so the caking will not happen and break down will happen faster. In a holding tank on a boat or trailer the tank is smaller and you are using it less.

Buddy in our camp has been into RV service for 30 years and says to not use the regular stuff and has seen more issues between that and people not keeping a wet tank.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jut bought a boat with the same issue, after cleaning the toilet paper caked vent line I flushed (from the toilet) vinager.....smell stopped and cleaned out the tank also (off white again)....I let the vinager sit for a few days before emptying the holding thank (I used 4 gallons of it)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

It's a common misconception that the tank on your boat is a septic tank. It is not, It's a HOLDING tank. If you use the head, then the head must be emptied THAT day.
To clean, calgon and laundry detergent with some drinking quality water sloshed around by use of the boat will clean the tank. Once clean, a small amount of bleach in drinking quality fresh water put into the tank will eliminate the odor. I only mention drinking quality water for non vacuflush owners. I believe that vacuflush uses water from the onboard water system.
I agree with the OP that it's hard to believe that there is no filter on the vent line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.