Good news about crank driven sea water pumps >

Good news about crank driven sea water pumps

Notices

Good news about crank driven sea water pumps

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Good news about crank driven sea water pumps

Moving from pre-Alpha to Bravo required a complete re-design of my cooling system for twin SBC's. The popular favorite is the Mercruiser belt driven sea water pump that mounts on a bracket on the starboard side of the engine at about 8 o-clock. I looked at several installs with this arrangement and figured servicing that pump would be a nightmare...had to be a better way.

I have always been a fan of Marine Power and Indamar and the way they rig marine engines. I noticed that all of their rigs use a crank driven pump that mounts directly to the crank pulley. I read some old post on OSO and asked several riggers in this town about the use of this pump instead of the belt driven type that are so popular. The answer I got considered that for stock and mildly modified engines the crank driven pumps from 5 years ago and older were good choices but fell short for highly modified big block rigs. That was until about 5 years ago Johnson Pump modified their version with a larger impeller that equals or exceeds the output of the Mercruiser pumps in GPH and PSI.

So now there is no reason to prefer the Mercruiser style over the newer crank driven pumps. The new high capacity pumps are # 10-24805-01 Mod # F6B-9. This pump is offered in a kit by Michigan Motorz and Jerry's Marine that includes a torque arm bracket that bolts to the block. Servicing this thing from the front is a snap because it's right on the front of the engine....plus there is no belt to break. Not to mention these pumps retail at less than half the price of the Mercruiser pump.

This is a pic of the kit.

So I went out and bought two of these today. Suction is going to connect to the water inlet on the Bravo Transom Assembly and discharge direct to the circulating pump.

I know after reading some older OSO post that I am not the first one to do this and hope this info benefits some else facing this same question or is considering replacing their old belt driven arrangement with a simpler, easier to maintain raw water pump. If you look at the way Marine Power builds their packages you will see that all of their set ups are first class heavy duty with things like dual remote oil filters and double SS clamps on all hose connections. The fact that they use these pumps on all of their engines speaks volumes to me.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by sprink58
Moving from pre-Alpha to Bravo required a complete re-design of my cooling system for twin SBC's. The popular favorite is the Mercruiser belt driven sea water pump that mounts on a bracket on the starboard side of the engine at about 8 o-clock. I looked at several installs with this arrangement and figured servicing that pump would be a nightmare...had to be a better way.

I have always been a fan of Marine Power and Indamar and the way they rig marine engines. I noticed that all of their rigs use a crank driven pump that mounts directly to the crank pulley. I read some old post on OSO and asked several riggers in this town about the use of this pump instead of the belt driven type that are so popular. The answer I got considered that for stock and mildly modified engines the crank driven pumps from 5 years ago and older were good choices but fell short for highly modified big block rigs. That was until about 5 years ago Johnson Pump modified their version with a larger impeller that equals or exceeds the output of the Mercruiser pumps in GPH and PSI.

So now there is no reason to prefer the Mercruiser style over the newer crank driven pumps. The new high capacity pumps are # 10-24805-01 Mod # F6B-9. This pump is offered in a kit by Michigan Motorz and Jerry's Marine that includes a torque arm bracket that bolts to the block. Servicing this thing from the front is a snap because it's right on the front of the engine....plus there is no belt to break. Not to mention these pumps retail at less than half the price of the Mercruiser pump.

This is a pic of the kit.

So I went out and bought two of these today. Suction is going to connect to the water inlet on the Bravo Transom Assembly and discharge direct to the circulating pump.

I know after reading some older OSO post that I am not the first one to do this and hope this info benefits some else facing this same question or is considering replacing their old belt driven arrangement with a simpler, easier to maintain raw water pump. If you look at the way Marine Power builds their packages you will see that all of their set ups are first class heavy duty with things like dual remote oil filters and double SS clamps on all hose connections. The fact that they use these pumps on all of their engines speaks volumes to me.
Volvo also use's them as well..thet kick out a bunch of water,,no belts to deal with...i have a cam driven one in my donzi...
Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Will they work on TRS drives??
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney
I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
there is no reason they woudn't work with a TRS as long as there is room in front of your engine
Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey sprink how much room in front of the pully do you need ?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mach1magnum
hey sprink how much room in front of the pully do you need ?
Depends on the crank pulley. If it's recessed...2~3" if not 4"~6".

Here's a 454 Indmar

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a 5.7 Marine Power Carbureted engine...350 Horsepower

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sprink58; 07-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

What are the advantiges of a crank driven water pump over a belt driven water pump?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Registered

Easier access for maintenance fewer moving parts
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Advantage:Impeller changes in under 5 minutes. Even on the water.

Here is a shot of the Jabsco 12400-model setups on my Innovation 600's. I've been using this setup for 13 years and love it.
Attached Thumbnails Good news about crank driven sea water pumps-enginesrf20080328.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.