Notices

Carter Electric Fuel Pump

Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carter Electric Fuel Pump

Anyone have experience using this Carter electric fuel pump?

[IMG][/IMG]

Carter 7psi low pressure fuel pump with brackets and hardware included. Also includes hobbs switch and wire lead.

Used on carburated engine when mechanical fuel pumps cannot be used.

Seems like a simple way to set up my Vortecs...$135/ea from Marine Power. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of these kits.
This is what Marine Power and Indmar installs on their SBC's that have no mechanical pump provision.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running this pump on my 489 carb motor right now, and it seems to work OK. Probably going to step up to the Carter black pump this winter for extra insurance.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Holley Reds work great and can find them for a lot less.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i noticed my holly red was smoking hot one day, i touched it and it burnt me.. Has anyone noticed this as well. I had been ideling with it for about 20 min plus i have it rugulated at 8psi bc with both electric and mechanical it wants to push 12 psi
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK...I picked up a pair of them today from Jerry's so I'm taking "2" for the team. I have never had these before so we will see what we see.

I have heard that they are sensitive to marginal fuel so I will be extra aware of that deal.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Default What Happen with this?

Originally Posted by pantera232
i noticed my holly red was smoking hot one day, i touched it and it burnt me.. Has anyone noticed this as well. I had been ideling with it for about 20 min plus i have it rugulated at 8psi bc with both electric and mechanical it wants to push 12 psi
I just smoked mine today after idling for a long time. I have been having vapor lock issues. I thought it was coming from the low pressure pump but now I am sure it is and wy. What did you find? I have to replace it and don't want to use another holley!
Thx John
Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have seen many of these fuel pumps installed especially for inboard ski boat repowers. Anyways like all electric fuel pumps they can become internally corroded very easily and fail but this model really hates water ran thru it as it will fail in short order.

A tip with marine fuel systems and fuel pumps is to mix some 2 stroke outboard engine oil with a remote gas tank & fuel to run thru them for any periods of sitting more than 4 weeks at a time.

Also do fuel sample and or change your fuel water sep filters out more often plus take a fuel sample from them as well to see what the condition is. Always look for water in your fuel and any form of grit.

Clean fuel, new fuel filters and a clean fuel system along with 100% water free will always work better plus add longevity in return cause less engine problems as well.

Last edited by BUP; 05-25-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

carter and holly reds are both ****... buy a aeromotive fuel pump they self prime and can be installed higher then the tank, holly red are only pushers and carter just blow up
Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been running these pumps for years and no issues!

The first time I ran them in my jet boat I wasn't sure about realibilty so I built a manifold and have two plumbed together so if I lose one I can swap the wires to the other and be back under way. I have run these pumps every summer for 10 years and never had a failure. About 4 years ago I swapped to the other pump just to get equal use out of them!

Great pumps!!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
been running these pumps for years and no issues!

The first time i ran them in my jet boat i wasn't sure about realibilty so i built a manifold and have two plumbed together so if i lose one i can swap the wires to the other and be back under way. I have run these pumps every summer for 10 years and never had a failure. About 4 years ago i swapped to the other pump just to get equal use out of them!

Great pumps!!
x2