Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
how hard to change helm in 86 formula? >

how hard to change helm in 86 formula?

Notices

how hard to change helm in 86 formula?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how hard to change helm in 86 formula?

OK, so looking at changing out the helm in my 86 formula, and wondering just what a chore this will be. How hard is it to take the old helm control out and put in a different one? Nothing wrong right now, so not fixing parts, just wondering what is involved with changing it out.

Pics of my steering helm now.

Brian

Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Really, no one has changed out a steering helm in one of these? Just wondering how hard of a project it is, looking at replacing it with one that has tilt on it.

Bump up for more viewing!

Thank you,

Brian
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a Big T teleflex it practically falls out by itself. Remove wheel, remove four screws, catch.
The bezel mounts from behind. It's worse running the cable.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Registered

Wow I haven't seen a fuse block like that in years. Don't miss it ether. You may want to clean that up.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

If there's nothing wrong with it, then why do you care how hard it is to replace?
It's a Teleflex, and the helms basically last forever. If you want to upgrade to hydraulic, then that's one thing, but I don't understand the question.

And how hard? Well, looks like you have good access to it, so it should be duck soup. Again, if you couldn't see the fasteners then I understand some confusion, but there they are, right in your face.

Depending on how tight the cable turn is right there, you might have a little bit of a tough time getting it to pull straight back from the dash opening, but there's likely enough room. The cable more or less disconnects itself from the helm once you spin the locknut off and turn the wheel. Reverse the procedure to pull the cable back into the helm.

Forgive me if I sound odd about this post, but if you're not replacing it or removing it, then I don't get it. It's like me asking "Hey, how hard is it to put a new compressor in my refrigerator. It's working great, and it shows no signs of failing - I was just wondering..".

MC
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Really, no one has changed out a steering helm in one of these? Just wondering how hard of a project it is, looking at replacing it with one that has tilt on it.

Bump up for more viewing!

Thank you,

Brian
He's thinking about a tilt helm. Post #2
Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Registered

Sorry MC for the confusion, no problem with the questions. Like he said, considering a tilt steering option. I am 6'5" and after sitting in the seat, a tilt might be quite helpful. Standing up is really awkward, feels like the wheel is down by my knees.

I read somewhere else that the only way to add tilt steering, was to change the whole thing, but they didn't go into what it took to change it.

Thanks for the info guys, I think I will pursue that.

Oh, and the fuse block was pretty bad. solid wire contacts, but the fuses were real touchy, so I went through them and cleaned up the contact points, seems good now but it is something to pay attention to. It is a boat after all, what could possibly go wrong......

Brian
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Be advised that the tilt helm usually sticks FARTHER off the dash, placing the wheel FARTHER into the driver. If you have room for that, then the tilt is a good idea.

The swap is straightforward. Nothing tricky.

MC