Notices

Freeze plug question...

Old 07-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plug question...

Almost there! Got the wiring problem solved for the fuel pumps and she runs. Flushed all the sand out of the block and backflushed the intercooler. Found the impeller on the sea pump was shot, will get one Monday. Noticed there was no thermostat, will get a 120 degree high flow marine on Monday... When flushing the block I found FOUR of the freeze plugs were popped out. Two behind the motor mounts. The ones at rear of engine are fine. Question, has anyone used the rubber expanding plugs on an engine? If so, how did it work. Not excited about trying to pound in plugs with all three inches of working room (not to mention the ones behind the mounts) Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Used them and they work fine. Not preferred but will work.
120* is a bit cool. You may want to go with a 140*
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

why were the freeze plugs popped out? is this from the winter? the rubber ones do work. single engine? get a bottle jack or the crank-up kind from any foriegn car and lift motor off mounts and remove the mounts for room to work.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

f inscreenname, I have a 502MPI with procharger - is 120 or 140 the right choice? Also, Home Depot has plasic ones for pressure testing plumbing (knowing many parts on the engine are plastic) would they be OK or should I find metal ones?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Dereknkathy, I just got the boat a couple weeks ago and have been tinkering with stuf to get it ready. I assume the plugs were popped from winter, hopefully no other damge was done. Guess I won't know until I get the plugs in and have the sea pump back on... crossing fingers...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the rubber ones which have the nut that you tighten on them, not the plastic for now to check it out. With 4 of them popping out there's a good chance the blocks going to be cracked. If it is cracked you won't be wasting your time trying to replace them with brass ones and the rubber will work fine for now. Then you can always replace them with brass over winter. You'll want the 140* thermostat.

Last edited by picklenjim; 07-29-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I really hope not. The drain Plugs were removed but with the block full of sand he water couldn't drain. Oil is clean but will see.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
use the rubber ones which have the nut that you tighten on them, not the plastic for now to check it out. With 4 of them popping out there's a goog chance the blocks going to be cracked. If it is cracked you won't be wasting your time trying to replace them with brass ones and the rubber will work fine for now. Then you can always replace them with brass over winter. You'll want the 140* thermostat.
+2
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

With 4 popped feeze plugs, I'd bet money on a cracked block.