Sonic Bilge Redo Project Thread >

Sonic Bilge Redo Project Thread

Notices

Sonic Bilge Redo Project Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sonic Bilge Redo Project Thread

I have finally got my boat running good mechanically and since the leaks seem to be almost fixed I decided it was time to pull the motors and redo the bilge. My goals are to
  • Remove motors and check for small leaks
  • replace rusted bolts
  • remove unneccesary wiring and hoses
  • repair gel where needed
  • dress motors with AN hoses
  • organize wiring into groups and distribution blocks
  • place LED lights in engine bay
  • place lexan glass on engine hatch
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
I have finally got my boat running good mechanically and since the leaks seem to be almost fixed I decided it was time to pull the motors and redo the bilge. My goals are to
  • Remove motors and check for small leaks
  • replace rusted bolts
  • remove unneccesary wiring and hoses
  • repair gel where needed
  • dress motors with AN hoses
  • organize wiring into groups and distribution blocks
  • place LED lights in engine bay
  • place lexan glass on engine hatch
Looking forward to seeing this thread, I am doing the same on my fountain this winter. Also looking to add diamond plate.

Keep me posted on any cool bling that you find

Also here is an interesting link to add bling to standard mounting screw washers, I know it is a tuner car but it look great

http://www.gencoupe.com/diy-do-yours...s-washers.html
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered

Day 1
Engine hatch Removed and began to peek around motors. Man its dirty down there

Ordered 2 of these bad boys from a Offshore member. Absolutely the simplest drive removal I have ever done.

I have wanted a gantry crane for years. I finally broke down for this project and bought one. I got the harbor frieight gantry and it seems to work well. It wasnt wide enough so I ended up having to buy a 12ft Ibeam and weld it up to go over top.

That was the end of day one. Spent most the day putting together my new tools and cleaning up areas to place things in the shop.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

DAY 2

Well first time pulling the motors on this boat and it took me about 3 hours to get one motor removed. The second motor should be much easier now that I have easy access to everything on it. I was able to do this uninstall by myself with the assistance of the electric gantry.

Man that bilge is dirty. I found enough tools to put together a tool box down there. Also found some seepage around the oil pan gasket and oil cooler. I will replace all the lower motor gaskets while I have these pulled out.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

DAY 3

Day 3 was only about 2 hours worth of tinkering time. I spent some time removing the Y pipe which I will replace with coverplates and doing some hands on scrubbing. Also removed some hoses and other assemblies in the engine bay. Already looks 1,000 times better.

I am hoping glass dave see's this part. I am not sure if you call this delamination or what but there is some definite gel repair that needs to be done in here.

And last but not least. Can anyone look at this picture and tell me what this hose is supposed to go to. It comes off the drive and then just has a plug stuck in it. I was going to research the Merc book tonight to see what its purpose is supposed to be. Hopefully I can remove the hose all together and just put a plug on the gimbal.
Attached Thumbnails Sonic Bilge Redo Project Thread-day-3c.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FuelinAround
DAY 3

Day 3 was only about 2 hours worth of tinkering time. I spent some time removing the Y pipe which I will replace with coverplates and doing some hands on scrubbing. Also removed some hoses and other assemblies in the engine bay. Already looks 1,000 times better.

I am hoping glass dave see's this part. I am not sure if you call this delamination or what but there is some definite gel repair that needs to be done in here.

And last but not least. Can anyone look at this picture and tell me what this hose is supposed to go to. It comes off the drive and then just has a plug stuck in it. I was going to research the Merc book tonight to see what its purpose is supposed to be. Hopefully I can remove the hose all together and just put a plug on the gimbal.
Tube is speedo pickup, some boats use both drives, some use one. If you are only using one that would be an extra.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Tube is speedo pickup, some boats use both drives, some use one. If you are only using one that would be an extra.
Can you plug it at the gimbal for a cleaner look?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the cracked gel,,,thats what happens to gel coat if its applied too thick...the pic is blurry so its hard to see how thick it is..
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look forward to this thread cause Im doing the same thing. Are you going to repaint also?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
all the cracked gel,,,thats what happens to gel coat if its applied too thick...the pic is blurry so its hard to see how thick it is..
Seems to be bluntly of gel underneath. I may just try sanding it out and spray over it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.