Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
BBC piston and ring questions >

BBC piston and ring questions

Notices

BBC piston and ring questions

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=mmb;3823610]Chief took the chillers off when they did the Pro 1 head swap. Tommy said they made more power without the chillers..

QUOTE]

Thats actually not the first time Ive heard this statement. Ive also heard it from another reputable builder regarding the chiller on a B&M 420 Setup. The other builder said the chiller was a big waste of money on his setup pretty much. Made more power without it. Doesnt make sense, but Im cant see why these guys would have any reason to lie about it either??
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Mark you've played with boost enough to know that psi doesn't always equate to more power. (I'm sure someone was going to bring it up) but I know what you mean it was just pumping it out the exhaust. Dry 6's???? You find a money tree near those orange trees down there???? Lol. I understand the chillers causing an intake restriction and losing a bit of power but, dyno the engine cold, then dyno it again after running 45-50 min at 4200 and the intake is heat soaked then dyno it. I'd really like to see the numbers then. I have a huge amount of respect for tommy at chief, maybe he felt they were no help at that power level???? My compression is a bit more than ideal so I won't be taking them out!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
Sounds like a plan! Who knows, maybe a set of 572's for that Hawk???.....wait, maybe 598 by then...
Imagine peer that big in a hawk?!?!? Hmmm lol
Please refresh with 8.4:1 comp ratio thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run srp pistons with Total Seal rings in my blown bbc. The rings are "ap" (advanced profiling) top rings, napier second rings with standard tension oil rings. I like em and they seem to do the trick!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
mmb
Registered

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;3823620]
Originally Posted by mmb
Chief took the chillers off when they did the Pro 1 head swap. Tommy said they made more power without the chillers..

QUOTE]

Thats actually not the first time Ive heard this statement. Ive also heard it from another reputable builder regarding the chiller on a B&M 420 Setup. The other builder said the chiller was a big waste of money on his setup pretty much. Made more power without it. Doesnt make sense, but Im cant see why these guys would have any reason to lie about it either??

It's really simple why the chillers didn't make more power in this situation.

1. The engines make 5.8 lbs at 6,000 rpm no chillers... The blower is running 118% overdrive and normally would be at 8+lbs (this was due to the 264/280 duration @.050 cam)

2. The chillers were put on and made 3lbs of boost, Tommy never repullied the blower to bring the boost back up with the chillers.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

If it's of any use, srp pistons are made by je. I've read and been told the difference between the two are the material they're made from. Je pistons are a little on the higher end between the two brands. I also forgot to mention that my rings are 1/16th, 1/16th, 3/16th.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
I have a huge amount of respect for tommy at chief, maybe he felt they were no help at that power level???? My compression is a bit more than ideal so I won't be taking them out!
Well Tommy obviously doesn't know what valve train geometry is... The pushrods in these Dart heads were miles too short and wore all the guides out in 15 hours... I'm talking .008-.010"

He also had normal BBC stud girdles on Dart heads.... Umm that's the wrong valve angle... These heads need Dart specific stud girdles....

I have a nice repair bill from Dart rebuilding my brand new heads...

What a Phucking joke....
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Really???? That is crazy has to be more to that story. Did he build the motors or just dyno them? I don't remember the boat being advertised as having "chief" power.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
mmb
Registered

I called Tommy before I bought the boat. Tommy did the new top ends in his shop. Removed the engines from the boat, removed the old heads & installed the new heads. Put the engines back together, set up the valve train.. Dynoed them then reinstalled in the boat.

That's a fact, I was also with Robert in Key West. Robert went up to Tommy right in front of me and said "Tommy, did you do the top ends on my motor? This is the new owner Mark.". Tommy said Yeah Robert you know I did why?

Robert left it alone in Key West but just said... We will be talking soon.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Registered

Ok then! Well doesn't get much more cut and dry than that. Sorry to hear of the issues. Good luck with straightening it all out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.