Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Budget hydraulic steering upgrades? >

Budget hydraulic steering upgrades?

Notices

Budget hydraulic steering upgrades?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issues as noted here, about 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock slop at the helm. As a newbie to this coming from an outboard, I need some guidance, step by step (baby steps) as to what to look for, what to try to adjust etc, etc. I have the drive off the boat replacing everything with new. this video was taken with the drive "OFF" so the slop is very apparent.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO the cable to hydraulic systems leave a lot to be desired. I would try and convert it to full hydro if you can, and when you do post how you did it as I have a project that needs the same thing done.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
IMHO the cable to hydraulic systems leave a lot to be desired. I would try and convert it to full hydro if you can, and when you do post how you did it as I have a project that needs the same thing done.

I'll get right on that as soon as I hit the lottery.... Looking for the easy way out right now to get me through a season or two so my wallet has a chance to fatten up a little.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
I recently went from add-on single cylinder to full hydraulic single cylinder. $1200 thru CP Performance although the hose ends they sell with the kit do not work well at all.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I just did the exact same thing. Ordered the $1200 kit and couldn't be happier. You will do $1200 worth of screwing around trying to piece a system together. Order the kit and be done with it.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
I currently have an IMCO single ram external hydraulic steering system on my Velocity. It is cable steering back to the steering actuator. The actuator is still hooked up to the gimble steering point, as well as supplying pressure to the external ram. At speeds of 65+, I really feel the slop in the cable when chine walking starts. My steering wheel has about 4 inches or so of slop. Are there tighter cables on the market that would work, or is this resident in all cable steering systems? I saw on CP where they had a dual cable steering system. What is that?
If I found a hydraulic helm (I can make my own hoses), where would it connect to my actuator? How about Seastar? Can I do away with my power steering all together and go with a manual Seastar? Or can the Seastar augment the power steering?
Yes, I am on a budget. :-(
Just for fun fire your boat up on a hose, bump either side of the drive and watch it take off. That's what's probably causing your chine walk, you're not going to stop it with a new cable, go full hydraulic and be safe.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 AM
Registered

You guy's all bring up some very valid points on going to HYD steering, it's just the $$$$ part that's hard to take right now. I realize it has to be fixed just really torn on the cost issue. I've looked a little at the different mfg's kits and total Hyd Kit is like close to $4k....
Old 11-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I just did the exact same thing. Ordered the $1200 kit and couldn't be happier. You will do $1200 worth of screwing around trying to piece a system together. Order the kit and be done with it.
what kit are y'all adding?
does it still use cable from the helm to the back?
Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-steering.html
Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm adding it to my boat this winter. I don't have it at all right now, and the boat runs 75. I'm hoping to get another 5 out of it with tuning the motor. The reason I posting this is for the guys saying it is to much money. It's to expensive now, but is it worth getting hurt or hurting someone else? Its a safety add on. You do it so your boat isn't a death trap to you and everyone around you. If your over 70, or in big water around 60 you need to do it. After you do it I'm sure you will say it was the best investment you did to the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.