Budget hydraulic steering upgrades? >

Budget hydraulic steering upgrades?

Notices

Budget hydraulic steering upgrades?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 90profx
I did the upgrade to full HYD Steering, rip'd out the crappy Ride Guide Rotary Helm & cable. Currently installing a full SeaStar HYD Steering system, 2.4 Helm, Hoses, aft Hyd Cylinder. This system works in conjunction with the OEM power assist steering, price........$800 and its all inside the boat, no externals.
So you basically just replaced the cable with a hydraulic unit? You stated you were new to i/o stuff earlier in the thread, the external rams take a significant load off the gimble and steering tiller which is where most of the really bad slop occurs and what wears the worst.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
So you basically just replaced the cable with a hydraulic unit? You stated you were new to i/o stuff earlier in the thread, the external rams take a significant load off the gimble and steering tiller which is where most of the really bad slop occurs and what wears the worst.
Yeah, last I/O I owned was back in 1985, then went to O/B's and now I'm back again. Maybe I shouldn't have said totally new to this stuff, maybe very rusty. Your correct, I'm replacing the cable steering with hydraulics. Not really worried that much about wear at this point and now since I've been through the drive removal process again and my mind is refreshed, it'll be an easy fix when that time comes.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

exactly what kit did you get that replaces the cable hydraulically? I have a dual ram imco external setup and I am working on plumbing the inside part...
Old 12-29-2015, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
exactly what kit did you get that replaces the cable hydraulically? I have a dual ram imco external setup and I am working on plumbing the inside part...

Bought in pieces:
Hyd Cyl: HC5328-3
Helm: HH5272 (2.4)
Hose Kit: HO5116
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
they do make a dual cable mercruiser powersteering system. I just threw a complete dual cable setup in the trash out of my Fountain. It would be much safer than your single...but go full hydraulic and get rid of the cables. Cutting all that crap out and throwing it away was a happy day for me!
I have a 92 fountain with dual cable setup. Were can i find replacement cables thanks
Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

"This kit is designed for the boats that already have an external steering add-on system and want to have a full power hydraulic system".
Inside Hydraulic Add-On Kit for Single Rams - CP Performance