Ok to replace grade 5 and 8 bolt with stainless >

Ok to replace grade 5 and 8 bolt with stainless

Notices

Ok to replace grade 5 and 8 bolt with stainless

Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ok to replace grade 5 and 8 bolt with stainless

Okay as many of you know I am dressing the outside of my motor with all billet parts when I go to put the bolts back on I would like to replace them with stainless instead of bronze on exterior motor parts will this be an issue? Pulleys, alternator brackets, etc
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope go for it ! Just don't do the head bolts LOL.JOHN SR
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup go for it!

When I rebuilt my engines I replaced every bolt with stainless Allen bolts and stainless washers.

I even put stainless bolts in areas like the face of the cylinder heads where there were just threaded holes but nothing in them! I think it added a level of dress up and uniformity. You can see the bling in the photo!

What I wasn't expecting was the $450 dollar tab I had run up at my local nut and bolt place!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

YES!!! http://www.totallystainless.com/ Is absolute best supplier, I did the full engine kit for my 383. That was 5 years ago, they are the only company licensed by ARP. I have recommended them to quite a few also very satisfied guys. They carry something for every application, wait until you get a catalog!!!!

Phil
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

ARP is the way to go. Stronger the grade 8 also. I do all my engines with them. Not cheap though.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to totallystainless close to me, we use them all for the cars in my resto shop, call and get there catalog, they have complete kits, single items, also have grade 8 or harder bolts, and every type of bolts, washers, nuts, you can think of, and standard ss bolts are not hardened, in fact if you buy bolts off them they will ask you what your using them on, wont sell you standard ss bolts if your going to use them on any steering or suppention work, got to get the hardened ones from them...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

I would say yes and no. it depends on where you are buying from. a quality bolt shop should have a pretty good grade of stainless but I have seen some at hardware stores that were pretty bad quality and very soft. the parts you are bolting on are not very high stress so as long as they are decent quality you should be fine.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Use anti seize
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have using boltdepot.com for years, can buy what you need 1 to 1000 great selection !
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're running in salt water a lot and the aluminum parts are not coated or anodized, consider using Tef-Gel in between the bolt and the part. Aluminum and stainless are at opposite ends of the galvanic scale and will corrode together very badly in the presence of salt water. By "badly", I mean that they will virtually weld themselves together...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.