Notices

flamearrestor to?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flamearrestor to?

what do you guys have your not stock flamearrestors hoses run to in your valve covers? just the push in type aftermarket breathers or something else?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have seen some run to PCV valves. kinda makes sense. running at low speed/load you have engine vacuum sucking the fumes up instead of just blowing them into an area near the flame arrestor and hoping the engine will inhale them...
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be sure if you have aftermarket valve covers to to have the baffle inside or a PSV if not your engine will act like a vaccum at high RPM & suck the oil out FAST!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered

my covers have baffles prolly just gona go with push in breathers as there 5/8ths fittings and my arrestors are the same..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should work, thats exactly what my setup is
Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

good to know thanks one more thing knocked out
Old 03-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I use PCV valves in all my motors. Screw that oily hose stuck to my flame arrester / air cleaner.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

the vacume port on a carberator or manifold really dont have that much vaccume at wot,thats why merc used the gutted pcv valve going to the flame arrestor method..
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I use PCV valves in all my motors. Screw that oily hose stuck to my flame arrester / air cleaner.
so your sayin you just stuck some pcv valves in the valve covers and didnt run them to anything? no hose no nothing..
if thats the case i can do that with the breather with out the hose barbs on em then
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jason y
so your sayin you just stuck some pcv valves in the valve covers and didnt run them to anything? no hose no nothing..
if thats the case i can do that with the breather with out the hose barbs on em then

I use Edelbrock Marine carbs. They use the same base plate as the street version except they don’t drill out the PCV vac ports in the cast. 30 seconds with a drill and you have the same port as would use on a hot rod PVC or brake booster.
Even though I take about a million pictures for some reason I never emphasized a shot of any of the PVC systems I’ve done. So this was the best I could do.
This is my 1959 Biesemeyer with an open motor and any blow by wouldn’t be an issue but it’s the same as I do on all the others with enclosed boxes so we can use it as an example.

As you can see in this picture the port goes straight into the intake so no low vac issues when running hard.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 03-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.