Self tune mefi burn, am I crazy? >

Self tune mefi burn, am I crazy?

Notices

Self tune mefi burn, am I crazy?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roughneck427
Ive been lurking on this thread 4bus and decided to buy MEFIburn a few weeks ago.I have an interesting project a 1968 vdrive flatbottom with a Mercruiser 7.4 MPI MEFI3. Bob helped me out unlocking it as well i was suprised to see only 13-15 degrees of timing at WOT and i hooked my LC1 wideband up was playing around in the driveway with water hooked up no water going through headers my AFR at startup was 17:1 for a good 20 sec before it trimmed down to 14:1 or so Did you zero out the cold choke tables??

I am testing out new version of Datamaster for MEFI3 pm me if you wanna check it out.
I did zero out, but you are lean on the choke side...I would add. 17:1 is crazy lean for cold. Mine would run in the low 10s with the stock "choke" table. Without the cold table it still starts in the high 11s and ect vs bpw leans it out as it warms up to 130, at 130 it idles at 13.5:1 afr
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by troper
Does the software tell you what optimal setting are for each table? If not where can I find the info to educate myself?
??

The software tells you nothing, basically. You need an AFR for a "target". Basically go out and record a movie on scanner pro using the software, at the same time run an afr either recording or have someone take notes. Key marks should be as follows-

AFR Readings-

Cold start up-
Warm idle, cleaned out-
Cruise no boost, 3000 rpm
" " 3250
"" 3500

Then hit some boost points as well, 4000, 4500, 5000 WOT. You need to sustain each rpm range for a short period of time and let the AFR stabilize.

After you have all that info Bob will help you make changes. The software does have the ability to reset the curve after a spot change is made, which is great. Make sure you save current file before you make a change. I keep all mine in folder dated, with what changes I made. I also have different tunes for the different sides, that may be overkill for you.

You need to go back out with the afr after a change is made. The computer compensates off the coolant vs bpw table. Example, the boost table is simply a multiplier based on the coolant vs bpw number. So you will see numbers (example) 1 psi may show up as 1.05 on the table. Meaning it is the base fuel (1.xx) plus the additional based on the boost (x.05). the same is done across the board for all, including the choke.

Just make sure you look at the afr before and after, it is key.

The stock spark table should be ok, I wouldn't mess with it unless you have a specific issue you are trying to address.

I have my rev limit set at 5850 /5950 it is two stage. Make the lower number your rev limit. With your cam I would set it at 5600/5700 and prop it to run 5500 cool weather

If you have hanging IAC issues you can mechanically adjust down watching the IAC count on the software, slick. I have mine set at 15 and no longer have hanging idle issues.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4bus, what i want to do first is set the rev higher to 5600. Also I want to use a 120 thermostat. Your right I always get the hanging IAC and have to turn off and restart to bring the idle down on the port motor. I might be asking you a few more questions after I get the software Friday.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Getting the IAC count to between 0-10 should be done first. This is typically a mechanical throttle blade adjustment unless you are extremely rich at idle which can cause the IAC to cycle wildly.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 poker runs in June and after that I will send my tails to CMI to weld in the bings. On second thoughts I'll call them this morning to see what their turn around time frame is. 4bus where did you weld your bings at?
Any competent welder that can stitch stainless can do this, it's very simple.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty handy with mefiburn myself.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered

I have 2 poker runs in June and after that I will send my tails to CMI to weld in the bings. On second thoughts I'll call them this morning to see what their turn around time frame is. 4bus where did you weld your bings at?
I had mine welded local by the best welder I know, he is an artist. Blew the hole with a plasma, welded in and out without peening down metal, then polished. Looks factory.

I agree no reason to send to cmi, however make sure you have a good clean welder. Leaks in the wron spot can cause reversion or loss of 02 sensors, or both. Bungs should be in 10 or 2 o'clock position and have welded on the hot side (cyl 1,3,5,7) tuning from the even bank can cause lean conditions on the odd bank side in a bbc
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I do know a welder that does SS and he has done work for me before. Do you happen a photo of your bings? I just got off the phone with Bob and he asked me to send him my .bin files. Both of my were locked but he was able to unlock them. Have not changed anything yet.....too scared...
Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I do know a welder that does SS and he has done work for me before. Do you happen a photo of your bings? I just got off the phone with Bob and he asked me to send him my .bin files. Both of my were locked but he was able to unlock them. Have not changed anything yet.....too scared...
We call them "bungs" around here

I don't have any pics, but I will take some next time I think of it.

The only change you should be making rev limit without an afr. You can also wipe out the cold start, it is not needed on that engine, trust me. So much better without it. There is a fuel purge table that shoots fuel out of the injectors based on ect at key on, leave that alone.

I am sure bob won't let you with out and afr, but do not make any changes to fuel bpw without one, especially with the extra air you have coming out of those 871s
Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troper - Pm your email address - I'll send you some pics of bungs welded into Stainless Marine risers.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
Troper - Pm your email address - I'll send you some pics of bungs welded into Stainless Marine risers.
PM sent...thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.