Self tune mefi burn, am I crazy?

Notices

Self tune mefi burn, am I crazy?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Hey thanks for the tips.

I have a stock mefi3 system, and stock merc HEI ignition....no plans to change.

The ECU is stock, and I will save the files as you noted. Finding someone to provide a "close" tune to adjust is near impossible, mainly because they will lock it so that their hard work can not be pirated.

The hardest part that I see ahead of me is aligning the ARF readings with the ecu data log. From what I can tell with the stuff I planned to purchase so far it would be manual, I need to do more research because I would like the two to work in the same log.
This AFR meter logs data. Not sure if it logs it over rpm or not but if so that would be the ticket IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
This AFR meter logs data. Not sure if it logs it over rpm or not but if so that would be the ticket IMO.
i own the innovate dual sensor handheld wideband. it logs RPM and also logs map w/ external module.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

you should move this thread over to the baja section. Lots of EFI experts over there.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered

Bam! Lol
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If it were me would can all the merc crap, run a laptop programable on your boat and be done with all this sending back and forth B/S...its a short in the dark and usually not very close to where it should be....I run megasquirt with my own EFI setup with a procharger....
I agree. Id put the money towards a aftermarket Holley EFI setup. Talk to Haxby or Eddie young.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Registered

I had gone the FAST efi setup. I got the starting tune from another member. I set it up where the efi could richen the AFR by 25% if the O2 thought it was too lean and only lean out by 2%. In the beginning I had a friend drive the boat while I made changes to get close. Once I was close I would just run a log and then go back to and update. I had lots of help from other OSO members as I was trying to get the idle perfect.

I was having a problem one time and was able to talk to a fast engineer. He was great help and got me past my problem.

Would I do it over again? Hell yea!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,208 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
In the beginning I had a friend drive the boat while I made changes to get close. Once I was close I would just run a log and then go back to and update.
LOL, I sit in the back of JimV's Fountain with a laptop and an Innovate LM1. Pulling fuel and throwing fuel at his Haltec FI system. Never realizing we are running almost 100mph in a little 27' Fountain.

I say go for it 4bus. I don't know how much the Mefiburn is but I would look at what the cost difference to go with a different ECU system. Holley, Big Stuff, FAST or Megasquirt. Then you can always tune your new upgrades.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered

Mega squirt just sounds so inappropriate
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

4bus stay with it,there is definitely satisfaction to doing it yourself,no doubt in my mind that you will master it soon.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

Has anyone tried the kits from dynojet research on the mefi stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.