Notices

Illusive water leak

Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

did this get hurt by the bunks? running aground? or do you think it is orig equipment f/up? if bunks did it, you need to repos them so they are on a stronger section of the hull. if done by using hull as a depthfinder, hey, it is what it is. if chap built it that way, i would scream bloody murder even though it is only gonna get you a sore throat...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The failure was caused by normal use. No grounding or banging into something. The manufacturer will not get involved. So I am just looking for some ideas on repairing a spot that is backed by to the stringer on the inside and is not accessable. Interesting problem. Everything written about repairs are inside/outside repairs or using wire or string to hold a "backing plate" in place. But what do you do when there is a stringer on top of that area ?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

I found the answer that satisfies the condition. Boston Whaler gave a step by step procedure for repairing their boats. Since their boats are filled with foam, access to repair them from the inside is difficult. They basically said to clear out material behind the hole, and all around it from the outside, working thru the hole. Then mix glass and thickener to fill the cavity. This provides a "Back up" for the outside repair. It simulates the "Inside/outside" method commonly used. The strake was filled with wood behind the bad glass work and also gave a base to put the glass against.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Update to the repairs.
I made several tools to clear away the material on the inside of the strake. I left the wood filler (not the stringer) in and used it as backing for the glass that I would stuff in. I cut all the way around behind the damage and then filled the hole. This week I started the external repairs and got those lams on. Next finishing it.
Answer question on why damaged? The strake layup had dry glass and voids. Only had Gelcoat and some glass in spots. Something like an eggshell. Doesn't take much to crack it.

Last edited by stillcrazy26; 07-02-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Answer second question
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've knocked big chunks of gel coat off both my port and starboard inner strakes that end midship on my 260 SSi. My lift bunks set just inside these strakes and if the boat is not perfectly centered in the slip the bunks will contact the edge of the strakes when the lift comes up. After repeated strikes, eventually a big chunk of original pops off. My repairs hold firm. On my strakes, it exposes glass, not a filler material. The gel is too thick in these areas. It must pool some when they shoot the hull mold. Then I assume they get some air voids in this somewhat tight area when they lay the glass in.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

[URL="<a href="http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/stillcrazy36/media/DSC01545Small_zps64108f9d.jpg.html"

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by stillcrazy26; 07-09-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

[IMG][/IMG]

close up after getting rid of bad glass. This allowed water to migrate into bilge.

Last edited by stillcrazy26; 07-09-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added coment
Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

Well guys it's been a long trip from finding the leak to coming up with a method to repair, it but it has been done now for a while. Thanks to West Systems Technical help and Boston Whaler for their step by step repair method from the outside. No thanks to the manufaturer for any help.
if you check the Manufacturers forum you will find a delaminated hull in the forward area.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is it really delaminated if it was never laminated in the first place?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
is it really delaminated if it was never laminated in the first place?
Gee....another chapperal with a water leak......got any advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.