Notices

Cam Selection

Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Jrod, are you the same Jrod that builds killer r/c boats on jims r/c dock? I built a 509ci big block with stock "mag" internals, had Bob @ Marine Kinetics send me the entire valve train. Cam,lifters,rocker arms,springs,retainers, & locks with an air gap manifold, quickfuel 850, & a DUI ignition system that makes 510hp @ 5200 and over 500 lb of torque from 28-5300rpms. I would like to post a video but I can't figure out how. With stock internals, "good ones" this should be a strong, reliable engine that will last a long time. I can post dyno sheets if anyone would like to see them. Just ask Bob what he gave me. Randy
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Registered

OK. Thanks Griff. Sorry Randy, I'm not that Jrod. Thats sounds like a solid, strong engine you got. It should be fun.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't see anywhere where the OP says he has a Mag motor. The Mag intake is as good or better than the Stealth intake. If he did have a Mag motor, then the intake swap would have been a lateral move and the carb swap would not do much either.

I'm guessing it's not a Mag. Cast bottom end. Peanut port heads.
In that case, the Stealth would have been an upgrade.
Long tube headers are a little bit overkill on a peanut head motor, but it's good that he already has them.

If he keeps Peanut port heads and the low compression that goes with them, a narrower lobe center will help with power - longer blow down for exhaust... but he will have to watch for reversion. Higher compression and better flowing heads like wider lobe centers, as far as optimizing goes.

Guy needs to let us know what heads he is running. Whether it is a stock longblock, and which one it is.

mc
The better your heads flow,
Old 07-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered

Sorry, I could have swore I stated it was a mag. I think I did the first time on my phone and it got erased before I posted it. Its a mag motor, forged rotating assembly, and rectangle port heads. All the parts where already on it. I'm just turning the crank, new rings, new bearings, and replacing a scuffed up piston. While its apart I'm upgrading the cam.