Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers? >

Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?

Notices

Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?

Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?

Has anyone done it, I called Teague and they basically said no one has asked about cutting them. From the looks of it, the muffler part would not be affected. I'm sure they are that length for a reason though.

I have a 28 Nordic with extension box, and the exhaust points right at the ears for steering on the box. The way it stands, these won't fit unless I cut at least 2" off them. There is roughly 4" of stainless pipe AFTER the baffles.

Thanks-

Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Does not look like it would cause a problem. You might even weld a little ear in there off of what you cut off to kick the discharge away from your extension box.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:54 PM
Registered

My concern is that the length of what they made is because of noise reduction. I don't know, but to cut them up and spend $400 to NOT get a 15 db reduction in noise would be counter productive.

You can see I don't have much room to work with, I even had to trim my rubber flapper because it gets caught up.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Can the flange be cut off and re-welded further aft on the tip?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut mine on a slight angle, I think the top is 3.5" and the bottom is 2.5" heres some pics[ATTACH=CONFIG]506869[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]506871[/ATTACH] but they did have the external rubber flaps and I welded and drilled little tabs on the inside so I could mount there internal rubber flaps.....
Attached Thumbnails Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?-dscn0501.jpg   Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?-dscn0497.jpg   Cutting Teague Switchable Mufflers?-dscn0498.jpg  

Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

cut off saw works well
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Registered

tcwcar... After cutting them back, do they still quiet the noise down a bit?

Moving the flange is a good idea, but those welds look serious. I'd have to see if I have room on the inside too.

Thanks for the responses, still working out the details-
Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=launchpad475;3983385]tcwcar... After cutting them back, do they still quiet the noise down a bit?

Moving the flange is a good idea, but those welds look serious. I'd have to see if I have room on the inside too.

Thanks for the responses, still working out the details-[/QUOTE

Don't know haven't fire it yet, didn't do anything to the baffle part when the flap is close so it should be the same, it might be a little louder when open, will see...
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your exhaust even out of the water off plane? If its underwater, then those mufflers won't do you any good since you can't (shouldn't) run them above idle anyway. Otherwise, with your setup, I'd just run a set of small turn downs to deflect the exhaust away from the steering arm.

In terms of cutting them, Teague builds those mufflers in many different lengths and angles for various boats, so I dont think cutting them down would be a big deal. I could see how there might be a slight (very slight) increase in noise, but nothing I would worry about.