Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Need help with starter issues!!! >

Need help with starter issues!!!

Notices

Need help with starter issues!!!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pls clarify gear reduction starter. Fully intend to check grounds and all connections. Bad cell? Would that cause starter motor to spun without engaging bendix? Are you implying that potentially the same "bad" starter could turn over engine with a good battery?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the bendix is blowing. starter runs full speed. same rebuilder is putting same bendix in every time. motor is hot after run back to dock and re-started. shouldn't be that much more load than after cooling off, but some. like everybody else is saying. get a tougher starter from somebody else. those gear reduction starters are sturdy, light, and are easier to fit past exhaust, etc to mount.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Registered

Gear Reduction Starter??? Can someone school me on that? I had priced a Mercruiser Starter but havent ordered it yet. I want to do the following before hand. But if there is a better starter that will not crap out on me while on the water, I want to know about it!!!!

For now I want to check the following:::::

-Make sure I have a full charge on batteries and test for bad cell

-Check for voltage drop

-Check voltage to starter to make sure it is getting enough to engage Bendix.

-Check engine again for signs of water in cylinders.

-I bought a compression gauge and hoses to check compression.

-While I have the starter off I am going to check all contacts between wires and lugs. Clean them well for reinstall.

-Also, while starter is removed I want to jack the engine over and "feel" for broken teeth on the flywheel. Trying to get a camera and lite so I can film it through the access where the starter goes so I can actually see the teeth on the flywheel

That was all good advice I got on this site. I appreciate all the advice but really want more on the Gear Reduction Starter.

Jeff.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

A gear reduction starter has a planetary gear set in it that makes for a more powerful starter in a smaller package.
Nearly all late model vehicles now use them.
Did the starter shop tell you what was failing in the starters that went bad?
Have you checked the flywheel ring gear teeth for damage?
It is hard to see but you need to turn the motor with a pull handle while someone examines the teeth.
As a precaution be sure to pull the coil wire so it doesn't kick back on you and break your arm or worse.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Hey Cajun! Havent had the chance to do much with it. I had pulled the batteries and took them to have tested. One of them had a bad cell, the other was cranking with much lower CCA than rated. I put a charge on both of them, reinstalled them, jacked the engine over with a socket to see if there was any hydrolock which may have caused the last starter to fail, and to align the flywheel in case a tooth had sheared off the flywheel. (No, I haven't yet checked the flywheel, but it is on my to do list if I cant find another culprit. But at this point, I don't think that is the cause).

When I turned the key, the starter engaged. I quickly shut it off, hooked up the hose and started her up and ran her for several minutes, starting and stopping the engine several times. After running about 10 minutes, I shut her down and paused to let it wind down, turned the key half way, heard the fuel pump cycle and turned it the rest of the way and was met yet again with the shrill whine of the motor running without engaging the bendix and flywheel.

At the same time I check alternator output. I was getting 14.25 at the batteries according to the fluke meter.

Today, I bought new batteries. 810 CCA, and intend to install them tomorrow. I wont be able to float her tomorrow, but I want to see if the new batteries engage the bendix.

So what gives fellas??? I am leaning toward the ignition solenoid on top of the engine(with the red button). I was reading how I can jump it out with a 10 gauge wire to see if the solenoid on the starter cycles which would lead me to believe the ignition solenoid may be bad. Your thoughts??? I will let you know how that goes.

Also want to rig a jumper cable straight to the terminal on the starter and see what I get. Starting to wonder if it is something less than the starter. Curious to see what the new batteries do for her.

Pls provide your insight before I go any further.

By the way, I am an employee of Naval Sea Systems Command. While not assigned to the Washington Navy Yard, I was receiving the email alerts warning of the shooter on the grounds of the Navy Yard. Those alerts were being sent out from an Admiral that was in the yard at the time. My respect goes out to him in that he continued to do what he could while his own life was potentially in peril. I can only imagine the terror that my co-workers in D.C. were experiencing. May God go with all of them. Those that left us today and those that went home to their families.

Last edited by BMCS; 09-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

You need to get good batteries in order to properly check it .
With the high pitched screeching noise I'm leaning towards a broken tooth on your flywheel.
A weak battery makes a rattling buzzing noise from the starter.
To check it I would spin the motor a quarter turn with a pull handle and bump the starter and see if it engages right now while it's acting up.
When a V8 shuts down it normally stops in one of four places thus causing most of the ring gear wear at those locations. you have a one in four chance of starting on the broken/damaged gear. ( sometimes starts, sometimes not)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

My heart goes out to those that hurt tonight
Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy a new starter or have it rebuilt again by the same shop? Week batteries are not gonna brake the bendix. A solenoid could if it is staying engaged but you would definitely know if it does. Is the stater spinning and not engaging? If so it's not the engine mounted solenoid. If you like pm me and I'll give you my number. I think you might be over complicating things...
Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Registered

The newer cheap starter have a plastic throw out linkage. It is common for the solenoid to pull out of the plastic throw out linkage causing the symptoms you have. Get a starter with a robust throw out linkage if yours has the plastic. If you take the starter apart after a failure it is easy to see what happens to cause this.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Registered

Ok fellas, I found one of the batteries had a bad cell. Replaced them both. Cleaned all contacts between batteries and starter. Had alternator shop check for voltage drop across starter cable. Cleaned wire contacts to attached 12 volt solenoid on starter. Pulled starter and had it tested by same shop. They said it was bad(gear) and gave me another one.

Again, checked for any signs of moisture in cylinder. Had put new plugs in it recently and only had a couple hours on them but they are showing a little bit of what looks to be normal heat scorching of the porcelain around the plug electrode. It is my understanding that if I was getting moisture in the cylinder, the plugs would be steam cleaned.

I bought a $20 dollar compression test kit from Harbor Freight and checked compression on all cylinders. They all ranged between 112 and 120 psi which I know is low, but I am inclined to think it may be the cheapo test gauge giving me bad readings. I want to test it against my compressor regulator gauge and see if they are close but havent had the chance. .

The boat ran very well the other day after I did all that but I am very mindful of the fact that I had to replace the starter 3 times recently. I have heard a couple times that hydro lock causes starters to go, but not getting any indication. The boat pulled well when accelarating from a stop. Also, pulled well when cruising and I put it down. Hit WOT around 5000 RPM. Range is 4800 to 5200. Was running about 48 MPH.

Wanna confirm cylinder test procedure. Should engine be hot or cold? Also, I screwed the hose into the spark plug socket hand tight. Does that suffice? I allowed the engine to crank 3 times per cylinder check. Is that sufficient to build the necessary pressure to get a good reading? What should the cylinder pressure actually be? I had seen 150 to 175 in various forums but cant find anything "official" from Mercruiser. .

If the pressure is low across all 8 cylinders, which I need to confirm with another test gauge, what would cause it???

As alway, I appreciate your advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.