Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Carb to EFI Swap WORTH IT? >

Carb to EFI Swap WORTH IT?

Notices

Carb to EFI Swap WORTH IT?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone, I hesitated and it sold, $1800 including computer, cam, distributor, everything.
I should have done it!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,386 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Theres a HUGE difference in converting a single Borgie engine to EFI and converting a twin 540ci , 10-71, dual carb set up.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Thanks everyone, I hesitated and it sold, $1800 including computer, cam, distributor, everything.
I should have done it!
I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason. Keep us updated on what you decide in the future regarding fuel delivery. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Carbs can be tuned to the point where they start easy and run great. If you know how to tune a carb. I'm pro efi but have nothing against carbs. I'm of the notion if you have a carb boat keep it that way. If you have efi keep it that way. Both are great in thier own right and can accomplish the same thing
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Looking for some guidance
I'm currently swapping a 454 /330 with a carbureted 502 mag and both engines are out of the boat.
Would the addition of the efi kit in the]below be a good way to improve power and driveability?
One caveat is I plan on running stock manifolds and thru hull exhaust, would adding this conversion be a waste with stock exhaust and or would I risk reversion?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518320[/ATTACH

THANKS
I would rather invest the 2k bucks, into a pair of used HI perf Manifolds. The stock cam in the 390HP 502 Mag was weak. Obviously a hyd roller conversion would be the way to go, but at minimum I'd consider a upgrade even if it was going to a better flat tappet. Going from a 330 to a 390 should be a nice gain. Going from a 330, to a 450HP, or even 500HP, would be a REALLY nice gain.

If stock, smooth running, reliable, is you're thing, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the mannerisms of the 502/390HP carb engine. Really not much less docile than a stock 330 454.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Carbs can be tuned to the point where they start easy and run great. If you know how to tune a carb. I'm pro efi but have nothing against carbs. I'm of the notion if you have a carb boat keep it that way. If you have efi keep it that way. Both are great in thier own right and can accomplish the same thing
I feel the same way. I wont argue EFI is awesome, and for sure is where the future is in fuel delivery. But I disagree with some posts regarding carbs lately. I am not old by any means, prob younger than most of you guys. But I grew up owning old cars from the 70's, hanging around with the gear head guys, working on cars, and of course doing the HI perf boating thing for a while now. These days, people here you have a ''carbed" engine, and right aways its "dinosaur" and fouls plugs, gets horrific fuel mileage, hard to start, and plain old runs like crap.

Heres a good example. I owned a Stock 1978 Trans Am (400CID), a stock 1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville (500CID), and a couple others similar. I can tell you that, on any cold morning, in that Caddy, two pumps of the accelerator, and a flip of the key, she was running. She ran smooth, didn't sputter cough, or stall. Sure it went into high idle, and you let it warm up a minute before kicking it down and driving off, but that was the norm. Now, what baffles me, is both of those vehicles I owned, were about as aerodynamic as a Fuking BRICK. The Cadillac weighed about as much as todays SUVs. Yet, somehow, that caddy, my stock Trans Am, with dinosaur smog engines, and carburetors, and BIG cubic inches, got better fukin economy on a road trip, than my new modern sophisticated hemi Jeep, that drops cylinders in eco mode. And almost as good as my modern Lincoln on a road trip. My 78 Trans Am, when bone stock, had a log book, of every time the car was filled with gas, the miles were noted, and the MPG were hand calculated, since it was brand new. (My uncle bought it new and is super anal). That car AVERAGED between 15-19mpg per tank of gas both hwy and city. Now, keep in mind, that was a 1978 400CI carbed engine, with a HEI ignition. No modern EFI, Engine management systems, ECO modes, Cylinder dropping, or any of that stuff. Hell, they had flat tappet cams, awful emissons systems, 3spd transmissions, etc. I find it ridiculous, that my 5.7 Hemi Jeep, cannot even get that kind of mileage, and its 30+ years newer.

I guess the point I am trying to make, is carbs aren't as bad on fuel as most think. Sure, if they are out of tune, they will waste fuel. But generally speaking, they can be efficient, and support gobs of HP. While they are no where near as good as EFI, they still have a place, and can work well for most boaters.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Joe I know you said something but I couldn't read it due to staring at your avatar and that sucks cause you usually have informative posts. Lol. I'm not to old either at 34
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I feel the same way. I wont argue EFI is awesome, and for sure is where the future is in fuel delivery. But I disagree with some posts regarding carbs lately. I am not old by any means, prob younger than most of you guys. But I grew up owning old cars from the 70's, hanging around with the gear head guys, working on cars, and of course doing the HI perf boating thing for a while now. These days, people here you have a ''carbed" engine, and right aways its "dinosaur" and fouls plugs, gets horrific fuel mileage, hard to start, and plain old runs like crap.

Heres a good example. I owned a Stock 1978 Trans Am (400CID), a stock 1976 Cadillac Coupe Deville (500CID), and a couple others similar. I can tell you that, on any cold morning, in that Caddy, two pumps of the accelerator, and a flip of the key, she was running. She ran smooth, didn't sputter cough, or stall. Sure it went into high idle, and you let it warm up a minute before kicking it down and driving off, but that was the norm. Now, what baffles me, is both of those vehicles I owned, were about as aerodynamic as a Fuking BRICK. The Cadillac weighed about as much as todays SUVs. Yet, somehow, that caddy, my stock Trans Am, with dinosaur smog engines, and carburetors, and BIG cubic inches, got better fukin economy on a road trip, than my new modern sophisticated hemi Jeep, that drops cylinders in eco mode. And almost as good as my modern Lincoln on a road trip. My 78 Trans Am, when bone stock, had a log book, of every time the car was filled with gas, the miles were noted, and the MPG were hand calculated, since it was brand new. (My uncle bought it new and is super anal). That car AVERAGED between 15-19mpg per tank of gas both hwy and city. Now, keep in mind, that was a 1978 400CI carbed engine, with a HEI ignition. No modern EFI, Engine management systems, ECO modes, Cylinder dropping, or any of that stuff. Hell, they had flat tappet cams, awful emissons systems, 3spd transmissions, etc. I find it ridiculous, that my 5.7 Hemi Jeep, cannot even get that kind of mileage, and its 30+ years newer.

I guess the point I am trying to make, is carbs aren't as bad on fuel as most think. Sure, if they are out of tune, they will waste fuel. But generally speaking, they can be efficient, and support gobs of HP. While they are no where near as good as EFI, they still have a place, and can work well for most boaters.

Last weekend I took a 1100 mile round trip in my 06 Tacoma with the wife and kid. We averaged 21mpg. About 15 years prior my father and I made the same trip (same route) in his 65 Impala SS and averaged 30mpg. Go figure a 327/300 hp 2spd powerglide boat with no overdrive got 9 more mpg. Than my 4.0 truck with 2 overdriven gears. I guess technology and efi has alot of catching up to do. Oh yeah the Impala was all stock with points ignition. It's a damb shame we pay all this money for stuff today and it can't out perform stuff from 30-40 years ago...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Joe I know you said something but I couldn't read it due to staring at your avatar and that sucks cause you usually have informative posts. Lol. I'm not to old either at 34
Haha, Same here buddy.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Last weekend I took a 1100 mile round trip in my 06 Tacoma with the wife and kid. We averaged 21mpg. About 15 years prior my father and I made the same trip (same route) in his 65 Impala SS and averaged 30mpg. Go figure a 327/300 hp 2spd powerglide boat with no overdrive got 9 more mpg. Than my 4.0 truck with 2 overdriven gears. I guess technology and efi has alot of catching up to do. Oh yeah the Impala was all stock with points ignition. It's a damb shame we pay all this money for stuff today and it can't out perform stuff from 30-40 years ago...
Yup. I even had a carbed 1986 Honda Civic. That little bugger would get 35mpg. My buddy has a brand new little nissan that doesnt get that mpg. I will say, my little Civic left a lot to be desired when it came to passing on a two lane highway lol. It had a 5spd manual. I tried like hell to get that that thing over 92mph, but she just wouldnt go. 4th gear and redlining the tach, she just couldnt overcome the headwind.

I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.