Notices

Wideband O2 sensor

Old 03-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband O2 sensor

I had a sensor bungs installed in my riser extensions. The condensation coming thru the manifold killed my sensor right away.
Can I have the sensor in a sniffer tube, a tube in the bung and the sensor connected to the tube Or how do I keep it from failing?
Is there another sensor that can take the abuse of moisture. It was an Innovate wide band. Motor is a merc.496 ho. Extensions are merc.6" dry joint
Old 03-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had luck with this: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=2
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Since I'm going thru a double wall I'm afraid that the length of that would still be inside my threaded bung. I orderd these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-O2-Oxygen...-/331158805462

The threaded portion is longer on this hopefully it we'll be in the path of exhaust gas and off the wall. The condensation is on the walls and running into my sensor I think I need to get it in father. That's not what my wife says.lol
Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

The o2 goes inside the heat sink bung extender, if you have condensation on your walls then thats your answer. Only issue I found out too late is the holes have to be in the path of the exhaust flow.. so the bung extender should be timed to face the correct way.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The o2 goes inside the heat sink bung extender, if you have condensation on your walls then thats your answer. Only issue I found out too late is the holes have to be in the path of the exhaust flow.. so the bung extender should be timed to face the correct way.
But how long does the extender reach.. I'm prolly about an inch or so of threads on my bung.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The Innovative extender end is very similar to the end of an o2 sensor in terms of length it goes into the exhaust stream. So if your o2 is in the exhaust gas stream now, this will also. The beauty of it is that it has a pilot hole that you index, like ICDEDPPL mentioned, directly into the flow of exhaust gas. That pilot hole then directs exhaust to your o2 that is some distance away (and away from condensation). The hole you see in the end of the extender is the exhaust gas exit and it is on the downstream side of a bevel ground on the end of the extender (you can sort of see it in the picture) and thus at a low pressure point which in theory helps draw the exhaust gas through.

I looked at the one you ordered on ebay, but what I've read about those is that they affect the o2 reading since the exhaust gas stream isn't flowing directly to the o2. I haven't tried them so I don't have first hand knowledge; just keep an eye on the AFR before/after installing. With the Innovative extender I noticed no difference in AFR readings and have yet to water short another o2 sensor since installing. I also have a double wall pipe.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rvander68
The Innovative extender end is very similar to the end of an o2 sensor in terms of length it goes into the exhaust stream. So if your o2 is in the exhaust gas stream now, this will also. The beauty of it is that it has a pilot hole that you index, like ICDEDPPL mentioned, directly into the flow of exhaust gas. That pilot hole then directs exhaust to your o2 that is some distance away (and away from condensation). The hole you see in the end of the extender is the exhaust gas exit and it is on the downstream side of a bevel ground on the end of the extender (you can sort of see it in the picture) and thus at a low pressure point which in theory helps draw the exhaust gas through.

With the Innovative extender I noticed no difference in AFR readings and have yet to water short another o2 sensor since installing. I also have a double wall pipe.
I concur and had the exact same experience. It worked well for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the one from E-Bay will install soon. And note before and after, i found with my mufflers off my O2 sensor good, mufflers on must push alittle water back up pipe and hit o2 sensor.
Skydog
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

my car failed emissions for cat converter. I stacked 2 spark plug anti-foulers and put o2 sensor in them. now the o2 sensor reads, but is out of exhaust stream. car passed inspection. cuz the o2 sensor no longer reads accurately. you would do just as well to go open loop as trust an o2 sensor that isn't in the exhaust stream.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we tried the 90 deg ext and still killed our 02 pretty quick...but in lightning headers and that is our issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.