Notices

496 Starting Issues

Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced the IAC on mine last weekend. Scanner found my problem but as mentioned above, do a visual inspection of the IAC. When I removed mine you could see the internals melted. I found the part locally $150 and 5 minutes to replace.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Is it beeping every two minutes? If so, that's probably the code for the IAC causing the beep. Go ahead and buy an IAC and replace it, BUT BUY THE SCANNER TOO.
www.rinda.com is the right tool for the job, or you can buy the Diacom software for a laptop. This has been discussed dozens of times on here which you can find a search.

It's good to have a spare IAC on hand, which is why I said go ahead and buy it now.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll go ahead and change it so that will be one less problem I'll have to deal with for a little while. I definitely agree that I do need to buy a scanner. I just bought the boat so I'll be having it for a while.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

They not only melt, but in a salt water environment they rust and lockup the plunger, some times you can exercise it and by some time.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Mine didn't melt, just went bad. I did see on an auto repair show that you can clean the IAC with brake cleaner to free up the plunger.

As mentioned, a scan will show a flat line on IAC activity is that is the issue.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

There is a picture of the melted plastic in this thread.
http://http://www.offshoreonly.com/f...r-running.html
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Lurz
Just replaced the IAC on mine last weekend. Scanner found my problem but as mentioned above, do a visual inspection of the IAC. When I removed mine you could see the internals melted. I found the part locally $150 and 5 minutes to replace.
First one I bought from merc for$150. Second one I bought from auto parts store for $30. I think it fits older ford Aerostar van.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys. I changed the IAC Saturday and it fired right up with no prblems at all. I did see what everyone was talking about in regaurds to the "melting" of some of the plastic. Thanks again for the advice.